MORAGA, Calif. — The Saint Mary’s women’s tennis team put on a dominating performance Sunday afternoon, as the team rolled through San Diego State, 5-2 at the Timothy Korth Tennis Complex.
In the doubles action, Emma Critser and Danielle McIntyre won their second straight match at the No. 1 spot. The duo dominated on Friday over the Huskies, and carried over the momentum to today’s match with a 6-2 victory.
Holding down the No. 2 court, Jana McCord and Kareena Manji also won their second consecutive match to clinch the doubles point for the Gaels. McCord and Manji put on an impressive performance to defeat the Aztecs doubles team, 6-0.
The singles contests were filled with power and smart tennis by the Gaels. After dropping the first two matches on courts 1 and 2, SMC swept the rest of the ladder en route to the day’s victory. McIntyre claimed her first singles win of the spring season on court No. 3 with a straight-set 6-2, 6-3 win.
In the No. 4 spot for SMC, Manji turned in a straight-set victory that produced big moments in the second set. After winning 6-0 in the first set, Manji battled her way to a 7-5 win in the second frame.
Up next for the Gaels is a road match versus UC Santa Barbara. The contest versus the Gauchos will take place at a neutral site in Sacramento. The match is scheduled for Saturday, Feb. 18 at 3:30 p.m.
Saint Mary’s 5, San Diego State 2
1. Emma Critser/ Danielle McIntyre (SMC) d. Buth/ Colvee (SDSU) 6-2
2. Jana McCord/ Kareena Manji (SMC) d. Davis/ Diaz (SDSU) 6-0
3. Vanessa Nommensen/ Parminder Kaur (SMC) d. Smith/ Valk (SDSU) unfinished
1. Jana Buth (SDSU) d. Jana McCord (SMC) 7-5, 7-6
2. Kennedy Davis (SDSU) d. Clementine Clement (SMC) 6-4, 4-6, 10-3
3. Danielle McIntyre (SMC) d. Paola Diaz (SDSU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Kareena Manji (SMC) d. Mia Smith (SDSU) 6-0, 7-5
5. Emma Critser (SMC) d. Olivia Larsson (SDSU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Parminder Kaur (SMC) d. Marina Colvee (SDSU) 6-0, 6-0
SUPPORT THE GAELS
A gift to the Gael Athletic Fund directly benefits Saint Mary's student-athletes, allowing them the opportunity to attain an education guided by our Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts traditions. Click the link for more information.
FOLLOW THE GAELS
@SMCGaels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) SMC_Gaels (Snapchat)