STANFORD, Calif. — The Saint Mary’s men’s tennis team went toe-to-toe with nationally ranked No. 20 Stanford Sunday afternoon, but eventually fell to the Cardinal at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium.
The Gaels (3-2) battled hard in the day’s double action, but dropped decisions on all three courts. On the first court, newcomer Damon Kesaris and veteran Nash Vollenweider paired together for a true battle against the Cardinal (5-1) top pairing. After long rallies and back-and-forth action, the Gaels dropped the 6-3 decision.
Matis Bot and Manuel De Luis Lamelas also came out strong as the No. 3 doubles team for the Gaels. The duo competed hard and forced crucial points in the narrow loss.
In the No. 2 spot for the Gaels, Kesaris came up just short in a marathon decision. The first year player went ahead to capture the first set 6-3 versus No. 70 Michael Genender. After dropping the second set via tiebreaker, Kesaris battled till the end in the final set.
Now a senior, De Luis Lamelas nearly came out with a stunning win on court No. 4. Lamelas played a strong match due to a superb defense and a strong attack to finish the points.
Up next for the Gaels is a home match versus UC Davis. SMC will host the Aggies on Feb. 18 at the Timothy Korth Tennis Complex at 1 p.m.
No. 20 Stanford 7, Saint Mary's 0
1) Sutter/Wilczynski (STAN) d. Damon Kesaris/ Nash Vollenweider (SMC) 6-3
2) Fawcett/Genender (STAN) d. Calvin Jordaan/Brian Lee (SMC) 6-2
3) Genesen/Lederman (STAN) d. Matis Bot/Manuel De Luis Lamelas (SMC) 6-4
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
1) No. 7 Tom Fawcett (STAN) d. Nash Vollenweider (SMC) 6-3, 6-4
2) No. 70 Michael Genender (STAN) d. Damon Kesaris (SMC) 3-6, 7-6, 10-6
3) David Wilczynski (STAN) d. Calvin Jordaan (SMC) 6-1, 6-2
4) Brandon Sutter (STAN) d. Manuel De Luis Lamelas (SMC) 7-5, 7-6(2)
5) Roy Lederman (STAN) d. Matthew Campana (SMC) 6-4, 6-3
6) William Genesen (STAN) d. Matis Bot (SMC) 6-0, 6-1
Order of Finish: 6, 3, 1, 5, 4, 2
SUPPORT THE GAELS
A gift to the Gael Athletic Fund directly benefits Saint Mary's student-athletes, allowing them the opportunity to attain an education guided by our Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts traditions. Click the link for more information.
FOLLOW THE GAELS
@SMCGaels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) SMC_Gaels (Snapchat)