MORAGA, Calif. — Saint Mary's women's soccer got off to a solid start with a first half goal, but fell just short by a pair of quick Sacramento State goals in the early moments of the second half, dropping a 2-1 decision Friday afternoon at Saint Mary's Stadium.
The Gaels drop their opening match of 2017, while the Hornets escape with a narrow win for a 1-0-0 record.
Saint Mary's controlled the midfield with physical play and showcased its impressive speed up and down the pitch in the first half. The Gaels took three shots in the opening 45 minutes, compared to four from Sacramento State. Senior Hannah Diaz secured the first goal of 2017 less than 20 minutes in, as the Gaels took the 1-0 lead into the second half.
In the latter half, the Hornets got momentum with a set-piece goal to tie the game, 1-1. Less than two minutes later, the visitors capitalized on a Gaels mistake for the 2-1 lead. SMC had late chances in the game, but could not capitalize the equalizer as the team finished with seven shots.
HOW THE GOALS HAPPENED
· Saint Mary's (1-0): At the 19:48 mark in the match, Diaz secured a loose ball in the Hornets defense with her great speed and finished for a tap-in finish for the early lead.
· Sacramento State (1-1): With a free-kick 30 yards out, Kayla Collins delivered a cross into the box and found Caitlin Prothe for the curling header into the bottom right corner.
· Sacramento State (2-1): At the 53:47 mark, Kylee Kim-Bustillos secured the ball off a Gaels miscue, and secured the eventual game winner.
THINGS TO NOTE
· In her first career collegiate game, Hill impressed in her debut, playing all 90 minutes. Hill, Rajatalo, Jasmine Edwards and attacking center midfielder Heather Seybert all played the entirety of the match.
· Diaz recorded three total shots for the match to lead the Gaels attack.
· In her debut in goal, Rajatalo showed flashes of solid goalkeeping and finished the game with three saves.
· Saint Mary's put the pressure on the Hornets defense in the second half as the Gaels had six corner kicks in the second half.
Back at It
· Saint Mary's will be back home on Sunday, Aug. 20, for a contest versus Fordham. The Gaels will take on the Rams at 3:30 p.m. Season, single match and group tickets to attend Saint Mary's women's soccer matches are open for purchase. Tickets will be available online here or by calling the SMC Athletic Ticket Office at (925) 631-GoTX (4689).
SUPPORT THE GAELS
A gift to the Gael Athletic Fund directly benefits Saint Mary's student-athletes, allowing them the opportunity to attain an education guided by our Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts traditions. Click the link for more information.
FOLLOW THE GAELS
@SMCGaels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) SMC_Gaels (Snapchat)