MORAGA, Calif. — Another good night defending the net and on the attack Friday propelled the Saint Mary's women's volleyball team to a 3-0 (25-18, 25-21, 25-11) sweep over Fresno State in its 2017 home opener at McKeon Pavilion.
· The Gaels (3-4) notched 10 blocks Friday versus the Bulldogs (4-4). It was the fourth time in their last five matches with double-digit blocks.
· Saint Mary's hit .312, the second time in its last three contests it has hit over .300.
· 10 different Gaels tallied at least one kill, with five of them getting five or more.
· Saint Mary's defeated Fresno State for the fifth straight time in the series, all by sweeps. It was the first meeting between the two programs since Sept. 4, 2015.
HOW IT HAPPENED
· Saint Mary's led nearly the entire match. Fresno State only held 1-0 leads in both sets one and two. The Gaels led the entire third set.
· A close first set swung SMC's way when it went on a 9-2 run to take an 18-10 lead. The Gaels served up three of their nine aces in the match during the run.
· SMC took another 18-10 lead in set two thanks to a quick 6-1 run. Kills from three different Gaels and two more aces powered the spurt.
· SMC jumped out to a 5-1 lead in the third set. It led 14-6 and 22-9 at different points in the clinching frame.
ROB BROWNING BITES
· “Our team is getting better. They worked really hard. The first couple of weekends we played OK but we identified some areas where we need to be better, particularly on offense.”
· “Fresno State is not a bad team and I think we played well enough and served well enough that I don't think they had any time to get a rhythm.”
· “Kyle (Masterson) has definitely helped us a lot (with blocking). And we've got some girls that are pretty good at blocking. Kyle's really helped them be better, both systematically and the technical aspects of it, too.”
· “You could just tell the girls were so excited to be home to play in front of their friends and family. They were fired up, we all were. To be at home against a good opponent like Fresno State who we match up well with.”
· Saint Mary's hosts CSUN at 7 p.m. Saturday to finish their home weekend, part of a split tournament with San Francisco.
· The Gaels travel to East Bay rival California on Friday before hosting defending national champion Stanford at 7 p.m. Saturday.
· Season and single-match tickets are available for purchase on SMCGaels.com or by calling the SMC Ticket Office at (925) 631-GoTx.
SUPPORT THE GAELS
A gift to the Gael Athletic Fund directly benefits Saint Mary's student-athletes, allowing them the opportunity to attain an education guided by our Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts traditions. Click the link for more information.
FOLLOW THE GAELS
@SMCGaels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) SMC_Gaels (Snapchat)