MORAGA, Calif. — With two superb strikes versus UC Riverside, Hannah Diaz helped Saint Mary's bounce back with a dominant 2-0 win, as the senior striker recorded both goals in today's contest at Saint Mary's Stadium.
Today's win moves the Gaels to an overall record, 3-4. The Highlanders dropped both games in this weekend's tournament and are now, 2-4-2.
SMC wasted no time offensively, recording the game's first four shots. The Gaels tallied five shots in the first half, and ultimately ended the 90 minutes with a total of nine, compared to just five from UCR.
Anyssa Dominguez and Diaz led the Gaels attack as they combined for six of the nine total shots. Sophomore keeper Sarah Sawatzky continued to be decisive in the Gaels goal, as she recorded her second clean sheet of the season.
- Saint Mary's (1-0): At the 18:23 mark of the match, Dominguez took the ball away from the Highlanders defender, passed it to Diaz inside the 18 yard box, where the senior crushed a low shot past the keeper for her 20th career goal as a Gael.
- Saint Mary's (2-0): Just a minute and 17 seconds into the second half, Diaz curled a dazzling 23 yard free kick into the top right corner.
THOUGHTS FROM TRAVIS CLARKE
- “I thought the team responded really well today after Friday's loss. The team is very young, and it seems like we have these Sunday games figured out. I believe once we win a Friday game, the team will really turn around with experience."
- "A lot of bright spots on the field today. I thought Jessica Ko played phenomenal for us at left back. Obviously Diaz was disruptive and really dangerous for us in the attacking third, and Heather Seybert created chances out of the center mid role. A really good performance by the entire team today."
- 21 career goals makes Diaz solo seventh in program history for goals scored.
- Diaz becomes the ninth Gael in history to score at least 20 career goals.
- Today's shutout win marks the first at home since beating No. 12 Cal in the home opener on Sept. 9, 2016 (W, 2-0)
- The Gaels used 20 players in today's win.
- Today's match was the first in program history versus UC Riverside.
- Third game in 2017 where the starting backline played entire match.
- Saint Mary's will have a road and home contest next week. The Gaels will travel to San Jose State on Friday, Sept. 15 with kickoff at 2 p.m.
- The Gaels will then host the Samford for a 12 p.m. showdown at Saint Mary's Stadium on Sunday, Sept. 17.
- Season, single match and group tickets to attend Saint Mary's women's soccer matches are now open for purchase. Tickets will be available online here or by calling the SMC Athletic Ticket Office at (925) 631-GoTX (4689).
SUPPORT THE GAELS
A gift to the Gael Athletic Fund directly benefits Saint Mary's student-athletes, allowing them the opportunity to attain an education guided by our Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts traditions. Click the link for more information.
FOLLOW THE GAELS
- @SMCGaels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) SMC_Gaels (Snapchat)