By: Trey Hannula
SMC Athletic Communications
MORAGA, Calif. — On a blistering hot day at Saint Mary's Stadium, the Gaels fell short to Cal State Fullerton (3-0-2) with a final score of 3-0. Friday's loss moved the Gaels to 2-3-0 on the young season.
The Titans got off to a hot start to begin the match, scoring in the 8th to take an early 1-0 lead off senior midfielder's Tala Haddad foot. Haddad recorded her second point of the game later in the first half on an assist to teammate Atlanta Primus to put her team up 2-0.
Saint Mary's goalie Sarah Sawatzky recorded five saves on the afternoon as Fullerton fired off 19 shots during the match. Hannah Diaz led the Gaels' offense with two shots on goal. Fullerton's defense played tough and held Saint Mary's to six total shots and three corners kicks.
Sophomore Sophia French added Fullerton's final goal on a header in the 55th minute.
- Haddad carried the ball down the left wing and fired a shot into the top right corner from 22 yards out.
- Haddad launched a cross from the outside and Primus finished with a tap in from close.
- Off a corner kick from Samantha Koemans, French headed the ball into the bottom left corner from six yards out.
THOUGHTS FROM TRAVIS CLARKE
- “Fullerton was a very experienced team today. They have a lot of seniors out there and their experience showed up today. We fought hard in the second half, but just unfortunately could not get the goal to get us back into the game."
- "Freshman Lydia Buggs did a good job today in her first block of minutes this season. She showed great pace and worked extremely hard. AnnaMaria DiGeronimo also did a good job while she was on the field. The freshmen played well today and it was great to see their improvement."
- Sophomore Sarah Sawatzky has started the last four games in net for the Gaels, including today's contest, and has recorded 18 saves on the season.
- The Gaels utilized 10 substitutes during the match while the Titans used eight.
- Jasmine Edwards is the only Gael to have played all 90 minutes in each game this season.
- The temperature at kickoff was 103 degrees Fahrenheit and peaked at 107.
UP NEXT: SAINT MARY'S TOURNAMENT
- Saint Mary's will host a two game tournament next weekend featuring Bakersfield and UC Riverside.
- The Gaels will face Bakersfield at 1 p.m. on Friday, Sep. 8 and UC Riverside on Sunday at 3:30 p.m.
SUPPORT THE GAELS
A gift to the Gael Athletic Fund directly benefits Saint Mary's student-athletes, allowing them the opportunity to attain an education guided by our Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts traditions. Click the link for more information.
FOLLOW THE GAELS
@SMCGaels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) SMC_Gaels (Snapchat)