By Trey Hannula
SMC Athletic Communications
SAN JOSE, Calif. — San Jose State's senior Jeremy Romero proved to be the difference on Thursday as the 5-7 forward scored two goals to lead the Spartans (2-2-0) past Saint Mary's (1-1-2).
The Gaels outshot the Spartans 10-6 during the contest but couldn't find the back of the net. SMC had just two shots on frame, while the Spartans finished the match with four.
Both of the Spartans goals came on simple through balls inside the box that allowed Romero to finish the ball into the back of the net.
- San Jose State (1-0): The Spartans got on the board first in the 36th minute as a long goal kick by their keeper Alex Clewis led to a breakaway for Romero, who cashed in from close on the left wing.
- San Jose State (2-0): Romero added his second tally of the match in the 65th minute after collecting a long pass from Jonathan Partida and racing by two Gael defenders to earn his third goal in four games this season.
- SJSU now leads the all-time series at 18-12-2. Saint Mary's most recently defeated the Spartans last season in a 4-1 decision.
- Andrew Konstantino made his first start in goal this season for the Gaels, collecting two saves in the loss.
- Seniors Ben Braman, Dakota Armour made their first appearance for the Gaels in 2017.
UP NEXT: CAL POLY
- Saint Mary's will play the middle contest of a three-game road trip on Sunday, Sep. 10 versus Cal Poly. The Mustangs are 0-4-0 this season but have played three top-10 opponents in Indiana, Notre Dame, and Maryland.
SUPPORT THE GAELS
A gift to the Gael Athletic Fund directly benefits Saint Mary's student-athletes, allowing them the opportunity to attain an education guided by our Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts traditions. Click the link for more information.
FOLLOW THE GAELS
@SMCGaels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) SMC_Gaels (Snapchat)