Saint Mary's College Athletics Facilities
Saint Mary's Stadium is the home to the men and women's soccer, and women's lacrosse teams. Located in the southeast corner of campus with views of the rolling hills of Moraga, Saint Mary's Stadium seats 5,500 spectators in one of the most picturesque settings in the country.
The first game played at Saint Mary's Stadium was on September 22, 1973 as the Gael football team opened its season with a 35-0 victory over Southern Oregon. On that date, the Edward P. "Slip" Madigan Memorial Plaza was dedicated. Located in front of the Stadium, the Plaza was built in honor of the legendary coach who led the Gaels from 1921-1939 and guided the team to a victory in the 1939 Cotton Bowl.
The McKeon Pavilion is the home to the Saint Mary's College men's basketball, women's basketball and volleyball teams. The Pavilion features a 3,500-seat basketball court with six moveable baskets. Large, boisterous crowds are the norm for Saint Mary's athletics, giving the Gaels a great haven and supplying the opposition's coaches numerous nightmares.
The Pavilion is a part of the Brother U. Albert Rahill Activity Center, which also includes Madigan Gymnasium and Saint Mary's Stadium. The Center derives its name from the late Brother U. Albert Rahill, "Mr. Saint Mary's", a man who was a Christian Brother for over fifty years and served as President of the College from 1935-1941.
The Pavilion bears the name of the late George R. McKeon, a former member of the Saint Mary's College Board of Regents and a major benefactor towards the building's construction. Plaques bearing the names of all the Pavilion's benefactors, a listing of Saint Mary's Athletic Hall of Fame membership, a permanent "Squirmin' Herman" Wedemeyer exhibit, and several trophies, mementos and team and individual honors of Saint Mary's athletes are located in the building's lobby.
Louis Guisto Field
Located in the front of the campus, Louis Guisto Field is set amongst towering pine trees with views of the campus and the surrounding Moraga hills. Just a few steps away from various types of student housing, the field provides Saint Mary's students a popular venue to enjoy the California sunshine and support the Gaels.
In 2012, the Gaels opened the new Louis Guisto Field, built 400 feet down the right field line from the old location. The new Louis Guisto Field's dimensions are 330 feet down the left and right field lines, 400 feet to dead center and 375 feet in the gaps. Louis Guisto Field will be a part of the much larger Athletics and Recreation Corridor that includes the Joseph L. Alioto Recreation Center, which is attached to the approximate 1,500 person baseball stadium and state-of-the-art press box, which will be introduced over the next three years.
Originally named the Brother Agon Field, the field was renamed after legendary baseball-great Louis Guisto. After a Hall of Fame career as a member of the Saint Mary's Phoenix, Guisto was instrumental in leading a successful drive to restore the baseball program after it was dropped in 1958.
Constructed almost entirely by the Saint Mary's College Buildings and Grounds staff, Cottrell Field was named a 2000 NFCA Regional Turface Field Winner. The sandbased field was completed in October, 1999 with 80 percent blue and 20 percent rye turf area, and a stabilizer red skinned infield and warning track system.
The 2000 softball season marked the first year of competition on Cottrell Field, which played host to 27 Saint Mary's home games, as well as local community games. Cottrell Field is scheduled to host nearly 30 games this season, including the Western Intercollegiate Softball League tournament, May 10-12, to close the season.
The field of dreams became a reality thanks to the donation of Elizabeth Larson. A member of the Board of Trustees, and a tremendous supporter of women's athletics. Larson requested the field be dedicated to the memory of Dr. John Cottrell and his wife Katherine Casassa Cottrell.
Timothy Korth Tennis Complex
Since the winter of 1990, the Timothy Korth Tennis Complex has housed the Saint Mary's men's and women's tennis teams. The complex features 12 courts, offices for coaches, and is located steps away from Louis Guisto and Cottrell Fields.
The complex will host the West Coast Conference Championships for the fifth time this year. Saint Mary's also hosted the men's championships in 1993 in addition to numerous Rolex, NorCal and North Coast Section High School tournaments.
Completed in October of 1992, the Saint Mary's College Power Plant provides Gael student-athletes, students, faculty, and staff a first-class weight room and training facility.
Spearheaded by former College President Brother Mel Anderson, FSC, the facility offers Gael student-athletes state-of-the-art equipment including free weights, weight machines, stairmasters, treadmills, and other exercise equipment.
The 3,000 square-foot facility allows Saint Mary's student-athletes to train in sport-specific programs all-year round. Workout programs are designed to increase athletic performance, prevent and rehabilitate injuries, and improve mental and physical health. These goals are achieved by utilizing Olympic lifts, strength lifts, flexibility, quickness, and agility drills. In addition, upper and lower dody plyometrics, various types of conditioning, and nutrition education is available to Gael student-athletes.