NORTHRIDGE, Calif. — After playing 110 minutes just two nights ago, Saint Mary's men's soccer showed no signs of slowing down, as the Gaels defeated 2016 NCAA tournament participant and reigning Big West champions CSUN in dramatic fashion, 2-1.
Saint Mary's controlled much of the opening half with smart possession and an efficient attack. The Gaels recorded five shots, with three going on frame in the first half. Sophomore keeper Remi Prieur continued his excellence with two key saves in the opening 45 minutes.
The early moments of the second half was a defensive showdown, as neither team could put together a major offensive threat. The Matadors took the first two shots of the last half as the home squad tried to equalize the match.
Despite an equalizer by the Matadors with 14 minutes remaining, the Gaels delivered a clutch moment to seal the game over the Matadors.
- Saint Mary's (1-0): Just 17:10 into the match, Anders Engebretsen dribbles down to the left side of the six yard box and crosses the ball to Lucas Andrews for the finish.
- CSUN (1-1): At the 75:59 mark, the Matadors equalized off a counter-attack strike by Daniel Trejo from 19 yards out.
- Saint Mary's (2-1): In the 87th minute, Jakub Svehlik dribbled past CSUN defenders and delivered an assist to Rudel, who dribbled to the left and delivered a strike into the top right corner.
- Freshman defenders Franco Mestre and Jake Mortensen made their collegiate debuts.
- Prieur made his 10th career start and now holds a 4-3-2 record.
- First win versus CSUN since 1999.
- First win at CSUN in program history.
- Gaels had five shots on goal compared to four from CSUN.
UP NEXT: HOME OPENER
- Saint Mary's will host its 2017 regular season home opener on Saturday, Sept. 2 versus Detroit Mercy. Kickoff versus the Titans is set for 4 p.m.
- Season, single match and group tickets to attend Saint Mary's men's soccer matches are now open for purchase. Tickets will be available online here or by calling the SMC Athletic Ticket Office at (925) 631-GoTX (4689).
SUPPORT THE GAELS
A gift to the Gael Athletic Fund directly benefits Saint Mary's student-athletes, allowing them the opportunity to attain an education guided by our Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts traditions. Click the link for more information.
FOLLOW THE GAELS
@SMCGaels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) SMC_Gaels (Snapchat)