MORAGA, Calif. — Junior Nash Vollenweider collected two impressive wins today, but the Saint Mary’s (3-3) men’s tennis team ultimately fell to UC Davis (4-3) in tough winds at the Timothy Korth Tennis Complex Saturday afternoon.
With rain luckily holding off, the Gaels and Aggies carried on with the day’s dual action. Vollenweider and newcomer Damon Kesaris tag teamed and earned an impressive 6-3 win over the Aggies No. 1 doubles team. Vollenweider and Kesaris are now 2-1 as the Gaels top duo in doubles action.
Vollenweider continued his strong play, as the 5-10 junior pulled through with thrilling three-set victory on court No. 1.
“Nash really had a great day,” said Saint Mary’s head coach Greg Kennett. “We were very proud of his high level and mental strength. He beat a good player today who has been ranked in the top-50 in the country. Nash has the ability to play with anyone.”
After Adamson tied the match one-set all, Vollenweider pulled through with determination and precision en route to the 6-3 win in the final set.
Senior Manuel De Luis Lamelas continues to hang tough in singles play, as he suffered a tight three-set loss at the No. 4 spot. The Marbella, Spain native tied the match with a 6-0 win in the second frame, but lost the tiebreaker, 10-8.
Saint Mary’s will now embark on a two week road swing which begins on Friday, Feb. 24 at San Diego State. The Gaels will then play the Toreros of San Diego for its first West Coast Conference match of the season on Saturday, Feb. 25 at 2 p.m.
UC Davis 6, Saint Mary's 1
1) Damon Kesaris/ Nash Vollenweider (SMC) d. James Wade/ Bryce McKelvie (UCD) 6-3
2) Tommy Lam/ David Goulak (UCD) d. Calvin Jordaan/Brian Lee (SMC) 7-5
3) Alec Adamson/ Max Pham (UCD) d. Matis Bot/Manuel De Luis Lamelas (SMC) 6-0
1) Nash Vollenweider (SMC) d. Alec Adamson (UCD) 6-3, 4-6, 6-3
2) James Wade (UCD) d. Damon Kesaris (SMC) 6-4, 6-2
3) Bryce McKelvie(UCD) d. Calvin Jordaan (SMC) 6-4, 6-1
4) Eli Whittle (UCD) d. Manuel De Luis Lamelas (SMC) 6-7, 6-0, 10-8
5) Tommy Lam (UCD) d. Jacob Lagman (SMC) 6-1, 6-2
6) Jesse Ross (UCD) d. Matthew Campana (SMC) 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
SUPPORT THE GAELS
A gift to the Gael Athletic Fund directly benefits Saint Mary's student-athletes, allowing them the opportunity to attain an education guided by our Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts traditions. Click the link for more information.
FOLLOW THE GAELS
@SMCGaels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) SMC_Gaels (Snapchat)