Stanford, Calif. — In the season’s dual match opener, Saint Mary’s battled but ultimately fell to defending national champion Stanford at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium Friday afternoon.
The Gaels fell in a 1-0 hole after the Cardinal captured the doubles point with wins on courts 1 and 2. SMC claimed the win on Court 3 with a 6-2 victory by the duo of Parminder Kaur and Vanessa Nommensen.
First year player Danielle McIntyre held her own on court 3 of singles action. Despite the result, McIntyre fought in all points and was the last match to conclude on the day.
Up next for the Gaels is another nationally-ranked Pac-12 program, as SMC will travel to No. 25 UCLA. The Gaels will take on the Bruins on Saturday, Feb. 4 at 12 p.m.
No. 4 Stanford 7, Saint Mary's 0
1) Arbuthnott/Davidson (STAN) d. Clement/Critser (SMC) 6-0
2) Doyle/Lord (STAN) d. Manji/McCord (SMC) 6-3
3) Kaur/Nommensen (SMC) d. Lampl/Kimberly Yee (STAN) 6-2
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1) No. 71 Caroline Doyle (STAN) d. Jana McCord (SMC) 6-3, 6-1
2) Taylor Davidson (STAN) d. Clementine Clement (SMC) 6-2, 6-3
3) Melissa Lord (STAN) d. Danielle McIntyre (SMC) 6-4, 6-3
4) Caroline Lampl (STAN) d. Kareena Manji (SMC) 6-4, 6-3
5) Emily Arbuthnott (STAN) d. Emma Critser (SMC) 6-1, 6-1
6) No. 67 Emma Higuchi (STAN) d. Vanessa Nommensen (SMC) 6-1, 6-0
Order of Finish: 5, 6, 1, 4, 2, 3
SUPPORT THE GAELS
A gift to the Gael Athletic Fund directly benefits Saint Mary's student-athletes, allowing them the opportunity to attain an education guided by our Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts traditions. Click the link for more information.
FOLLOW THE GAELS
@SMCGaels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) SMC_Gaels (Snapchat)