LOS ANGELES — In a match moved up in time due to unfortunate weather, the Saint Mary’s women’s tennis (0-2) team forced unfinished contests, but eventually fell to nationally ranked No. 20 UCLA (3-1), 5-0 Saturday morning at the Los Angeles Tennis Center.
The Gaels dropped the morning’s doubles point to the Bruins. On court No. 3, the Gaels tandem of Kareena Manji and Danielle McIntyre held a 5-3 lead. The duo displayed a great edge and accuracy on the court for the lead.
In singles play, senior Jana McCord held her own versus No. 4 Ena Shibahara. McCord forced long points, but dropped the 6-4, 6-3 decision.
Competing at the No. 2 spot for SMC, Clementine Clement was aggressive in her attack and played smart tennis from the court. After dropping the first set, Clement came storming back in the second frame to force the deciding set. The match eventually became a no decision.
Up next, the Gaels will host Washington on Friday, Feb. 10 at 2 p.m. The Gaels will then head back to the Timothy Korth Tennis Complex to take on San Diego State on Sunday, Feb. 12 at 11 a.m.
#20 UCLA 5, Saint Mary's 0
1. #4 Ena Shibahara (UCLA) def. Jana McCord (SMC) 6-4, 6-3
2. Terri Fleming (UCLA) vs. Clementine Clement (SMC) 4-6, 6-1, 2-1, unfinished
3. Jada Hart (UCLA) def. Kareena Manji (SMC) 6-0, 6-2
4. Alaina Miller (UCLA) def. Danielle McIntyre (SMC) 6-0, 6-2
5. Gabby Andrews (UCLA) def. Parminder Kaur (SMC) 7-5, 6-1
6. Kristin Wiley (UCLA) vs. Emma Critser (SMC) 6-3, 3-4, unfinished
1. #9 Ena Shibahara/Jada Hart (UCLA) def. Jana McCord/Parminder Kaur (SMC) 6-2
2. Terri Fleming/Alaina Miller (UCLA) def. Clementine Clement/Emma Critser (SMC) 6-1
3. Gabby Andrews/Kristin Wiley (UCLA) vs. Kareena Manji/Danielle McIntyre (SMC) 3-5, unfinished
Match Notes: Saint Mary's 0-2 UCLA 3-1; National ranking #20 Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (4,3,5,1)
SUPPORT THE GAELS
A gift to the Gael Athletic Fund directly benefits Saint Mary's student-athletes, allowing them the opportunity to attain an education guided by our Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts traditions. Click the link for more information.
FOLLOW THE GAELS
@SMCGaels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) SMC_Gaels (Snapchat)