SACRAMENTO — Avoiding the rain, the Saint Mary’s women’s tennis team saw action on the courts today and nearly came with its second straight win of the spring season versus defending Big West Champion UC Santa Barbara. Ultimately, the Gauchos prevailed with a narrow, 4-3 decision.
The day’s action stay neck-and-neck from start to finish as neither doubles teams could separate early. Emma Critser and Danielle McIntyre suffered their first loss at the No. 1 position, falling 6-4 in a tight battle.
Courts 2 and 3 proved to be no different as Parminder Kaur and Vanessa Nommensen nearly came out with the victory to tie the match. The Gauchos ultimately came out on top with the doubles point to have the early 1-0 edge heading into singles play.
Jana McCord played an outstanding match as the No. 1 player for the Gaels. The 5-10 senior dominated the Gauchos’ top player for the 6-1, 6-4 win.
First year player Jacqueline Pelletier made her spring season debut, and forced a long three-setter. The Gaels collected two more singles victories as Kareena Manji and Emma Critser collected strong victories on courts 5 and 6.
The Gaels will host two matches in the coming week, with the first versus Fresno State on Thursday, Feb. 23. SMC will then host nationally-ranked No. 9 Vanderbilt on Saturday, Feb. 25 at 11 a.m.
UC Santa Barbara 4, Saint Mary's 3
1. Stefani Stojic/ Palina Dubavets (UCSB) def. Emma Critser/ Danielle Mclntyre (SMC) 6-4
2. Melissa Baker/ Stephanie Yamada (UCSB) vs. Jana McCord/ Kareena Manji (SMC) 4-5(unfinished)
3. Jaimee Gilberston/ Natalie Da Silveira (UCSB) def. Parminder Kaur/ Vanessa Nommensen (SMC) 6-4
Order of Finish: 1, 3
1. Jana McCord (SMC) def. Palina Dubavets (UCSB) 6-1, 6-4
2. Natalie Da Silveira (UCSB) def. Jacqueline Pelletier (SMC) 6-7, 6-4, 3-2
3. Jaimee Gilbertson (UCSB) def. Clementine Clement (SMC) 2-6, 6-3, 7-6 (2)
4. Stefani Stojic (UCSB) def. Danielle Mclntyre (SMC) 6-2, 7-6
5. Kareena Manji (SMC) def. Melissa Baker (UCSB) 6-3, 6-4
6. Emma Critser (SMC) def. Stephanie Yamada (UCSB) 6-4, 6-3
Order to finish: 1, 6, 4, 5, 3, 2
SUPPORT THE GAELS
A gift to the Gael Athletic Fund directly benefits Saint Mary's student-athletes, allowing them the opportunity to attain an education guided by our Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts traditions. Click the link for more information.
FOLLOW THE GAELS
@SMCGaels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) SMC_Gaels (Snapchat)