MOSCOW, Idaho — In the second leg of the weekend road trip, Saint Mary's women's soccer displayed great toughness and excellent play on both halves of the field, as the Gaels claimed the impressive 1-0 road win at Idaho Sunday afternoon.
With today's win, Saint Mary's moves to an overall record, 2-2-0, while the Vandals drop to 1-2-1.
SMC got off to a solid start in the first half, firing off a total of six shots. Just over the 10 minute mark, Anyssa Dominguez got the first offensive chance for the Gaels as her shot was blocked by the Vandals defense. Idaho had four shots in the opening 45 minutes, as two were saved by Gaels keeper, Sarah Sawatzky.
Trailing 1-0, Idaho pressured the Gaels defense, but were not able to crack the net. The Vandals shot eight times in the second half, but Sawatzky continued to make impressive saves to keep the Gaels lead until the final whistle.
- Saint Mary's (1-0): At the 36:21 mark, Diaz scored her second goal of the season off a counter attack which found the crossbar and the back of the net.
THOUGHTS FROM TRAVIS CLARKE
- “We worked hard today against a good Idaho team. Idaho was excellent at set plays and at restarts, as their size and ability to win the 50/50 balls gave us trouble.”
- “It was good to see us take advantage of the chance that resulted in the goal. I thought Sawatzky played very well in goal for us today.”
- 19 career goals makes Diaz solo ninth in program history for goals scored.
- One more goal will make Diaz the ninth Gael in history to score at least 20 career goals.
- Jasmine Edwards and Heather Seybert have played all 90 minutes in every match of 2017.
- Idaho's first loss at home Oct. 17, 2014. Unbeaten streak at home was second longest in the nation.
- Seven saves is a career high for Sawatzky, who moves to 2-1 in her three starts.
- The Gaels used just 14 players in today's win.
UP NEXT: TWO HOME GAMES
- Saint Mary's will come back home to host a pair of contests versus Cal State Fullerton and Rice.
- The Gaels will host the Titans on Friday, Sept. 1 at 3 p.m. SMC will then host Rice on Sunday, Sept. 3, for a 3:30 p.m. kickoff.
SUPPORT THE GAELS
A gift to the Gael Athletic Fund directly benefits Saint Mary's student-athletes, allowing them the opportunity to attain an education guided by our Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts traditions. Click the link for more information.
FOLLOW THE GAELS
@SMCGaels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) SMC_Gaels (Snapchat)