By Nadine Masarweh
SMC Athletic Communications
MORAGA, Calif. — After a physical match to start the Saint Mary's tournament, Saint Mary's women's soccer totaled 16 shots, but fell short to CSU Bakersfield in a final score of 2-1 in the first overtime match of the season Friday afternoon.
Friday's loss moves the Gaels to an overall record of 2-4. The Roadrunners move to 4-3 on the season.
Forward Claire Nelson got off to a good start for the Roadrunners scoring in the 14th minute after an assist by leading scorer Kamari Hines. Nelson tallied her second goal of the season.
Saint Mary's midfielder Kailana Kaeo equalized the match with her first goal of the season in the 81st minute. Playing on the right wing, Kaeo bolstered the Gaels attack with two total shots for the match.
With just one minute left in overtime, Aryana Harvey assisted to Aminah Settles, as Settles touched just enough of the ball to squeak it past the Gaels keeper and into the net for the overtime win.
- CSU Bakersfield (1-0): The roadrunners struck first with 14 minutes into the first half, as Nelson drilled a 20 yard shot into the left corner of the Gaels net.
- Saint Mary's (1-1): Kailana Kaeo recorded her first goal in the 81st minute as Anna Parker's clear and Hannah Diaz's header gave Kaeo the angle to get past the keeper for the finish.
- CSU Bakersfield (2-1): Settles scored the overtime goal at the 109 minute mark as Harvey crossed from the right side for the tap in finish from Settles.
QUOTES FROM CLARKE
- “That was a tough match. We played really hard and attacked a lot. We created a lot of chances, but made two mistakes that cost us today. We are on to bouncing back on Sunday versus UC Riverside.”
- Today's match was the first overtime contest of 2017.
- The Gaels totaled 16 shot attempts and allowed just five from CSU Bakersfield.
- The physical match totaled 33 fouls.
- Saint Mary's forward Diaz delivered the most shot attempts (4) in today's match.
- Heather Seybert, Valerie LaForge, Kelsey Hill, Jasmine Edwards, and Anna Parker took on 109 minutes in today's contest.
- Saint Mary's will conclude the Saint Mary's tournament against UC Riverside (2-3-2) on Sunday, Sep. 10 at 3:30 p.m.
- Live stats and video can be found on the Gaels schedule or by clicking HERE.
SUPPORT THE GAELS
A gift to the Gael Athletic Fund directly benefits Saint Mary's student-athletes, allowing them the opportunity to attain an education guided by our Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts traditions. Click the link for more information.
FOLLOW THE GAELS
@SMCGaels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) SMC_Gaels (Snapchat)