MORAGA, Calif. — The Saint Mary’s beach volleyball team earned its fourth sweep over a West Coast Conference opponent Tuesday, this time blanking rival Santa Clara 5-0 at Moraga Commons.
It was a perfect sweep for Saint Mary’s (14-4), as it took every pairs matchup unblemished at 2-0. Out of 10 sets, Santa Clara (0-9) went over 15 points in only four of them.
SMC’s No. 3 pair of Mary Hernandez and Alexis Salmons earned the biggest margin of victory. The duo beat SCU’s Taylor Laugero and Hailey Lindberg 21-18 in the first set before crusing to a 21-7 win in set two. They trailed 18-16 in set one before rattling off five straight points to win 21-18.
Lindsey Knudsen and Payton Rund earned a 10-point set win at No. 1 pairs. They beat the Broncos’ Nikki Hess and Allison Kantor 21-11 in the first set. They would finish off the sweep with a 21-18 win in set two.
Saint Mary’s hosts its final home match of the season on Wednesday versus East Bay rival California. The match begins at 3 p.m. and will be held at Moraga Commons on Moraga Road.
Saint Mary's 5, Santa Clara 0
Moraga Commons – Moraga, Calif.
April 4, 2017
1. Lindsey Knudsen/Payton Rund (SMC) def. Nikki Hess/Allison Kantor (SCU) 21-11, 21-18
2. Emily Bible/Sarah Chase (SMC) def. Jensen Cunningham/Kirsten Mead (SCU) 21-12, 21-14
3. Mary Hernandez/Alexis Salmons (SMC) def. Taylor Laugero/Hailey Lindberg (SCU) 21-18, 21-7
4. Lindsey Calvin/Alexsa Parker (SMC) def. Michelle Gajdka/Tatiana San Juan (SCU) 21-14, 21-17
5. Madi Wilkerson/Sienna Young (SMC) def. Ngozi Nwabuzoh/Erin Reineking (SCU) 21-16, 21-14
Exh. Callie Jones/Laura Willems (SCU) def. Dominique Dodd/Alex O'Sullivan (SMC), 14-21, 21-13, 15-13
Order of finish: 3, Exh., 4, 5*, 1, 2
SUPPORT THE GAELS
A gift to the Gael Athletic Fund directly benefits Saint Mary's student-athletes, allowing them the opportunity to attain an education guided by our Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts traditions. Click the link for more information.
FOLLOW THE GAELS
@SMCGaels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) SMC_Gaels (Snapchat)