HONOLULU — The Saint Mary’s beach volleyball team competed hard Friday in its fourth match of the season against a top-10 ranked team, but it was host No. 6/5 Hawaii that came out victorious in a 5-0 win at the Clarence T.C. Ching Complex.
Hawaii (22-5) earned straight-set sweeps at the No. 3, 4 and 5 pairs, but it was the No. 15/RV Gaels’ (16-7) top-two pairs that gave the Rainbow Wahine the most trouble.
SMC’s No. 1 pair of Lindsey Knudsen and Payton Rund went three sets with Hawaii’s Morgan Martin and MiKayla Tucker. The Gaels duo went ahead in the match 1-0 with a 21-13 set one victory, but Martin and Tucker evened things up with a 21-16 win in set two. Hawaii would prevail in the tiebreaker to take the match, 15-12.
Emily Bible and Sarah Chase also played their Hawaii counterparts to three sets at No. 2 pairs. Bible and Chase came from behind to force a tiebreaker, winning set two, 21-18, after dropping the first set, 21-10. But again the Rainbow Wahine would win in the deciding set, 15-13.
The Gaels and Rainbow Wahine face off again at noon PDT Saturday at Queen’s Beach in Honolulu.
#6/5 Hawai'i 5, #15/RV Saint Mary's 0
Ching Complex – Honolulu
April 14, 2017
1. Morgan Martin/Mikayla Tucker (UH) def. Lindsey Knudsen/Payton Rund (SMC) 13-21, 21-16, 15-12
2. Ka'iwi Schucht/Nikki Taylor (UH) def. Emily Bible/Sarah Chase (SMC) 21-10, 18-21, 15-13
3. Emily Maglio/Laurel Weaver (UH) def. Lindsey Calvin/Mary Hernandez (SMC) 21-15, 21-10
4. Ari Homayun/Carly Kan (UH) def. Alexsa Parker/Sienna Young (SMC) 21-12, 21-13
5. Amy Ozee/Hannah Zalopany (UH) def. Alex O'Sullivan/Madi Wilkerson (SMC) 21-19, 21-13
Order of finish: 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
SUPPORT THE GAELS
A gift to the Gael Athletic Fund directly benefits Saint Mary's student-athletes, allowing them the opportunity to attain an education guided by our Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts traditions. Click the link for more information.
FOLLOW THE GAELS
@SMCGaels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) SMC_Gaels (Snapchat)