XC | Gaels Head to West Regional
The Saint Mary's men's and women's cross country teams will race in the 2017 NCAA West Regional in Seattle Friday
MORAGA, Calif. — The Saint Mary’s men’s and women’s cross country teams will hit the course Friday for another championship-caliber meet, this time for the 2017 NCAA West Regional at Jefferson Park Golf Course in Seattle, hosted by the University of Washington.
- Women’s 6-kilometer – 10:30 a.m.
- Men’s 10 km – 11:30 a.m.
- Flotrack will be streaming the meet live online. Click here to watch. Both races will also have live results. Click here to follow along live. Fans can also check out a PDF of the course map by clicking here.
LAST TIME OUT
- The Gaels competed at the West Coast Conference championships on Oct. 27 at Metropolitan Golf Links in Oakland. Both the men and women suffered setbacks from the previous year, with the women one spot back from 2016 in eighth and the men finishing two spots back in seventh.
- Both teams saw their top finisher place 26th, with Abby Bolt finishing the women’s 6 km in 21 minutes, 37.7 seconds, and Noah McDermott finishing the men’s 8 km in 24:38.7.
FROM THE STUDENT-ATHLETES
- I’m just honestly really happy and excited to be back running again. That, in itself, is fueling me and giving me that extra drive and determination to get to the line. Conference was kind of the confidence booster for me. It was really great to be able to run with (Abigayle) Mitchell and work with her throughout the race.
- Just having your teammates out there, there’s something about that dynamic that gives you that extra energy that you need. Going into regionals, having Hanna (English) back in the mix will definitely be good. We’ll have a good group out there working together. If we can use that to our advantage and work through the field and pick off people, it’ll be good.
- I just want to soak it all in and enjoy it. Even though it’s only half way through my junior year, senior year is really close. If I can just go out there and enjoy it and just leave it all on the course, that will be a good ending to my junior year.
- We’re all really looking forward to it. We’re really looking to make this our best race of the season. We want to peak at the right time. Coming off of conference and getting seventh, we weren’t super happy with that.
- Some teams, especially Santa Clara and LMU, are teams we’re really close with and compete with them usually very closely. We’re really looking to go up to Seattle and get in front of them.
- They’ve improved a lot this year, as have we. Unfortunately, we haven’t made it happen yet, but Seattle is our one last rodeo to make it happen.
- It’s crazy how fast (junior year) has gone. Going out there and running a good race, especially after the season I’ve had, I really just want to end the season on a positive note.
- Should any Gaels teams or individuals perform well enough, they will qualify for the 2017 NCAA Cross Country Championships, which will be held Nov. 18 at E.P. Tom Sawyer Park in Louisville, Ky.
12/4/2017 - Cross Country
XC | Gaels Sign Four Accomplished Runners To NLIs
11/23/2017 - Cross Country
XC | Men, Women Honored on WCC All-Academic Team
11/11/2017 - Cross Country
XC | McDermott, Bolt Lead Gaels At West Regional
11/9/2017 - Cross Country
XC | Gaels Head to West Regional
10/27/2017 - Cross Country
XC | Youth Steps Up At Competitive WCC Championships
10/26/2017 - Cross Country
XC | Gaels Head To WCC Championships
10/14/2017 - Cross Country
XC | Gaels Complete Final Tune-Up At Bronco Invite
10/13/2017 - Cross Country
XC | SMC Travels To Bronco Invite
10/02/2017 - Cross Country
Boffman Named Muscle Milk Student-Athlete of the Week
09/30/2017 - Cross Country