BSB | Gaels Even Series Behind Solid Pitching
The Saint Mary's baseball team got another solid starting pitching performance and strong relief to beat LBSU Saturday
LONG BEACH, Calif. - Another solid starting pitching performance and timely hitting helped the Saint Mary's baseball team beat host Long Beach State 6-2 Saturday and even their three-game series at one game apiece at Blair Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Gaels (1-1) went ahead for keeps with a four-run third inning, breaking a 1-1 tie. SMC's first five batters of the inning reached safely. Kevin Milam, who also started on the mound, started the go-ahead rally with an RBI double. Austin Chauvin - who went 3 for 3 on the day - tacked on two more with a one-out, two-run single to right field.
- SMC got its final run of the third inning on an RBI fielder's choice by Joe Vranesh. Edward Haus scored on what would've been an inning-ending double play, but Laine Huffman's throw sailed wide, allowing Vranesh to reach safely and Haus to score, making it 5-1.
- Milam (1-0) was efficient in his first career start on the mound. He allowed two runs and struck out two in six innings of work. He only allowed one extra base hit while scattering seven total base knocks. He allowed zero or one base runner in four of his six innings thrown.
- Milam's relief was equally as efficient, if not better. Andrew Hansen made his 2018 debut, throwing two innings of shutout relief in the seventh and eighth while facing the minimum. Michael Hobbs made his collegiate debut in the ninth, throwing a perfect 1-2-3 inning with two strikeouts, including a swinging fanning to end the game with an accent.
- Vranesh gave the Gaels their first lead of the game in the second inning. A one-out RBI double down the left field line scored Jackson Thoreson, who had led off the inning with a walk.
- But Long Beach State tied it at 1-1 in the very next half-inning. Three straight singles to start the inning, the last one by Brooks Stotler, scored Huffman from second.
- 1: Saint Mary's grabbed its first victory of the season with the 6-2 win. The number "1" also marked Milam's career debut as a starter, and Hobbs' first career appearance for the Gaels.
- 2: Hobbs struck out two batters in his collegiate debut. He threw just 10 pitches in the ninth inning, getting Stotler looking at strike three and K'ing Domenic Colacchio to end the game.
- 3: The Gaels' pitching staff issued three walks Saturday, its first bases on balls allowed of the season after giving up none on Friday. Only one of those walks scored, a leadoff walk to Garrett Nelson in the fifth.
- 3 for 3: Chauvin went a perfect 3 for 3 and reached base four times with a walk. All three of his hits were singles, including the two-RBI base knock he had in the go-ahead third inning rally.
- The series concludes with a 1 p.m. first pitch Sunday. Saint Mary's sends lefty Ken Waldichuk to the mound against fellow lefty Clayton Andrews of LBSU. Saint Mary's then travels to CSU Bakersfield for a single game at 4 p.m. Monday.
6/18/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Gaels Spread All Over For Summer Ball
6/13/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Waldichuk Earns ABCA All-Region Honors
6/6/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Four Gaels Taken In 2018 MLB Draft
6/4/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Gaels Host Summer Youth Camps
5/31/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Waldichuk Named All-American By CBN
05/31/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Valenzuela Named To USA Baseball 14U Staff
05/23/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Five Gaels Named WCC All-Academic
05/22/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Five Gaels Earn All-WCC Accolades
05/20/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Lions Walk Off Against Gaels In Season Finale
05/19/2018 - Baseball