BSB | Gaels' Come-From-Behind Victory Clinches Series
The Saint Mary's baseball team came back Sunday from being down 1-0 to beat Long Beach State and clinch the three-game series
LONG BEACH, Calif. - The Saint Mary's baseball team earned an important season-opening series victory Sunday with a 4-1 comeback win over host Long Beach State in the finale, taking two of three from the Dirtbags who won 42 games a year ago and were one win away from the College World Series.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Gaels (2-1) returned Friday's favor to Long Beach State (1-2) after it, too, had erased a 1-0 deficit to win by the series opener by the same score. Laine Huffman gave the Dirtbags an early 1-0 advantage with a leadoff homer in the second inning, but that was all the offense they would muster.
- Saint Mary's put its comeback rally together in the fifth, getting the first two batters to reach safely with a hit-by-pitch and a single. Then with no outs and runners on the corners, nine-hole hitter Conor Thane shot his first base hit of the year through the left side of the infield, scoring Joe Vranesh and tying the game at 1-1. Two batters later, Brett Rasso safety squeezed Dylan Robinson home to give SMC a 2-1 advantage it would not relinquish.
- The Gaels had the first two batters of the inning reach safely in fifth, sixth and seventh innings. They scored two more unearned insurance runs in the seventh after Thane started the frame reaching on an error and Jackson Thoreson singled. Thane would later score on a wild pitch with the bases loaded, and Edward Haus tacked on SMC's last run with a sacrifice fly. Haus entered Sunday 0 for 8 in the series and finished 3 for 3 with an RBI.
- Long Beach State threatened for more runs in the third inning, loading the bases with two outs. Brooks Stotler worked a 3-0 count and looked to increase the Dirtbags' then-1-0 lead. But SMC starter Ken Waldichuk worked the count back to 3-2, then got Stotler to pop out to first base and end the threat.
- Saint Mary's relief pitching was strong for the third straight day. Ty Madrigal made his second appearance in the series, throwing three no-hit, shutout innings of relief in the sixth, seventh and eighth, facing just one over the minimum with a strikeout and a walk. Michael Hobbs earned his first career save with a 1-2-3 ninth inning.
- 2: The Gaels held Long Beach State to just two hits all game, and none after the fifth inning. The Dirtbags did draw six free passes (four walks, two hit-by-pitches), but they would strand seven runners, including five in scoring position.
- 9: The Gaels had nine hits - all singles. Haus and Kevin Milam (2 for 4) were the two Gaels with multi-hit performances. Saint Mary's also left nine runners on base.
- 10: Saint Mary's batters struck out 10 times Sunday, the second time in the series they totaled double-digit Ks. Haus was the only starter that did not strike out.
- The Gaels travel to CSU Bakersfield for a single non-conference game at 4 p.m. Monday. They then head to Arizona for a three-game series at traditional power Arizona State starting Friday.
- Fans can find live coverage links for all games on SMCGaels.com.
3/22/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Gaels Clash With Broncos In South Bay
3/20/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Rain Postpones Tuesday's Game vs. Sac State
3/19/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Gaels Host Hornets in Non-Conference Tilt
3/18/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Pilots Clinch Series With Walk-Off Home Run
3/17/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Gaels Even Series With Early Runs
03/16/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Pilots Score Early, Win Series Opener
03/15/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Gaels Open WCC Play At Portland
03/13/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Wednesday's Game vs. Fresno State Cancelled
03/12/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Waldichuk Named WCC Pitcher of the Week
03/12/2018 - Baseball