BSB | CSU Bakersfield Comes Back To Edge Gaels
The Saint Mary's baseball team held two leads Monday but the host Roadrunners came from behind for the win
BAKERSFIELD, Calif. - The Saint Mary's baseball team held two leads on the road Monday but couldn't hold on to either one of them, as host CSU Bakersfield came from behind to edge the Gaels, 3-2, at Hardt Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Saint Mary's (2-2) took an early 1-0 lead in the second inning. Jackson Thoreson came home to score from third after JC Santini stole second base and Roadrunners catcher Jake Ortega sailed his throw into center field. Thoreson had led the inning off with a double.
- Thoreson would give the Gaels the lead again two innings later when he led off the fourth with his first home run of the year, pulling a shot down the right field line to make it 2-1. But CSU Bakersfield (2-2) evened the score both times the Gaels went ahead. First, in the second inning with an unearned run scoring from second base on an RBI double by Noah Barba. And again in the fifth inning on a sacrifice fly by Ortega to make it 2-2.
- Ortega would come through again for CSU Bakersfield in the seventh, putting his team up for good with a one-out RBI single. The Roadrunners played small ball to manufacture the eventual winning run. Evan Berkey singled to lead off the inning and moved to second on a groundout, to third on a wild pitch, and scored on Ortega's knock.
- Freshman righty Carlos Lomeli performed well in his collegiate debut for Saint Mary's. He gave up just one earned run on six scattered hits and struck out three with no walks. Andrew Hansen (0-1) took the loss with one earned run in two innings of work.
- 5: Saint Mary's drew five walks in the first five innings Monday, but none of them came around to score. Three of the walks were earned with two outs already on the board.
- 8: The Gaels struck out eight times, with seven of the nine starters striking out at least once. Through the season's first four games the SMC offense is averaging 9.8 strikeouts per game.
- 9: Saint Mary's had nine hits in the game, the third straight game it's had at least eight hits. The Gaels tallied three extra-base hits among the nine for the day.
- Saint Mary's travels to Pac-12 Conference member Arizona State for a three-game series starting Friday. Fans can find all live coverage links on SMCGaels.com.
6/18/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Gaels Spread All Over For Summer Ball
6/13/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Waldichuk Earns ABCA All-Region Honors
6/6/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Four Gaels Taken In 2018 MLB Draft
6/4/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Gaels Host Summer Youth Camps
5/31/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Waldichuk Named All-American By CBN
05/31/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Valenzuela Named To USA Baseball 14U Staff
05/23/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Five Gaels Named WCC All-Academic
05/22/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Five Gaels Earn All-WCC Accolades
05/20/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Lions Walk Off Against Gaels In Season Finale
05/19/2018 - Baseball