BSB | Frank Pitches Gaels Past Arizona State
The Saint Mary's baseball team was outhit and stranded 11 runners Friday, but Nick Frank allowed one run and struck out nine
TEMPE, Ariz. - A dominant starting pitching performance Friday from Nick Frank and a capitalizing offense gave the Saint Mary's baseball team a 6-1 series-opening victory over host Arizona State at Phoenix Municipal Stadium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Frank (1-1) was masterful in his second start as a Gael, earning the win by allowing just one run in 7 1/3 innings of work with nine strikeouts and just one walk. His lone walk didn't come until the eighth inning when he departed the game for reliever Ty Madrigal, who induced an inning-ending double play to close out the eighth and threw a perfect ninth to seal the win.
- Saint Mary's (3-2) took advantage of early mistakes by the Sun Devils (2-3) and used timely hitting to drive in runs and take an early lead. The Gaels scored runs in each of the first four innings, getting out to a 4-0 lead before Arizona State scored its first run. An Edward Haus sacrifice fly in the first scored Joey Fiske, who had doubled to lead off the game and make it 1-0. Conor Thane sent a two-out double over the head of ASU right fielder Hunter Bishop to score Joe Vranesh and make it 2-0 in the second.
- The Gaels made it 4-0 with two more runs in the third. Austin Chauvin was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded and Vranesh tallied his team-leading fourth RBI of the season with a sacrifice fly. The Gaels drew six free passes (four walks, two hit-by-pitches) in the first four innings, with three of them coming home to score.
- Arizona State finally broke through on the scoreboard in the bottom of the third with an RBI double from Gage Canning, but Frank got Carter Aldrete to strike out looking to end the inning and strand Canning at third base. A half-inning later, Jackson Thoreson made it 6-1 with a two-run single, tying Vranesh for the team lead with four RBIs.
- Ty Madrigal closed the game with 1 2/3 innings of no-hit, shutout relief. He induced an inning-ending double play in the eighth after two Sun Devils had reached with one out. And he threw a perfect ninth to seal the win.
- 0: The Gaels did not commit any errors Friday. It was the first time this season SMC went errorless in a game.
- 9: Frank's nine strikeouts set a new season high for both him and the Gaels. It was the most strikeouts by a Saint Mary's pitcher since Jake Valdez had 10 strikeouts versus Pacific on April 23 last season.
- 11: The Gaels left a season-high 11 runners on base. Six of those were left in scoring position. SMC was just 3 for 14 Friday with runners in scoring position.
- Game two of the series is scheduled for a noon first pitch on Saturday. Saint Mary's will send right-handed pitcher Kevin Milam to the mound against ASU's lefty Eli Lingos. Fans can find live coverage links for all games on SMCGaels.com.
6/18/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Gaels Spread All Over For Summer Ball
6/13/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Waldichuk Earns ABCA All-Region Honors
6/6/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Four Gaels Taken In 2018 MLB Draft
6/4/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Gaels Host Summer Youth Camps
5/31/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Waldichuk Named All-American By CBN
05/31/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Valenzuela Named To USA Baseball 14U Staff
05/23/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Five Gaels Named WCC All-Academic
05/22/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Five Gaels Earn All-WCC Accolades
05/20/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Lions Walk Off Against Gaels In Season Finale
05/19/2018 - Baseball