BSB | Late Comeback Clinches Series For Gaels
Dylan Robertson's two-run game-tying home run in the eighth and a single run in the ninth completed SMC's comeback victory
TEMPE, Ariz. -- Down but not out Saturday, the Saint Mary's baseball team rallied for three runs in the final two innings, including a clutch two-out, two-run game-tying home run from in the eighth inning by Dylan Robertson, to come from behind and beat host Arizona State, 6-5, and clinch the weekend series at Phoenix Municipal Stadium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Saint Mary's (4-2) trailed the Sun Devils (2-4) 5-3 entering the eighth. Jackson Thoreson singled to lead off the inning and moved to second on a wild pitch, but it appeared as though the Gaels would go scoreless for the seventh straight frame after a strikeout and a popup.
- That's when Robertson stepped to the plate and cashed in for the Gaels, finishing a five-pitch at-bat with a towering home run over the left-center wall to tie the game at 5-5.
- The game was then tied in the going into ninth inning, and extra innings looked like a legitimate possibility, but Gaels had other plans. Joey Fiske led off the inning with a single, and Saint Mary's would load the bases with no outs, eventually capitalizing to score the game-winning run with Fiske racing home from third on a wild pitch. From there, Gaels reliever Michael Hobbs worked around a one-out double and a walk to earn the win and shut down the Sun Devils.
- Saint Mary's got the offense going early, jumping out to an early lead after the first inning with a pair of RBI doubles. Eddie Haus roped a double down the right field line to drive in Brett Rasso and Austin Chauvin followed with a bases loaded ground rule double to bring home Haus and Milam to give the Gaels a 3-0 first inning lead, marking the second straight day the Saint Mary's has scored in the first inning.
- Arizona State meanwhile, (2-4) countered with a five-run, seven-hit second inning rally. After grounding out to start the inning, the Sun Devils rattled off seven straight hits, beginning with a solo home run from Spencer Torkelson to make it 1-0. From there, four straight singles, a triple and an RBI bunt single scored four runs for ASU and made it 5-3.
- However, after the five-run second inning, Milam would settle down and toss four perfect innings to go with eight strikeouts, and the bullpen would dazzle with three scoreless innings. Milam also added three hits at the plate. On the other side of the diamond, the Gaels offense picked up the slack, roughing up the Arizona State pitching staff for 13 hits.
- The win Saturday afternoon assures Saint Mary's of another series victory, giving the Gaels two series wins to start the 2018 season.
- 0: Saint Mary's played a clean game defensively for the second straight game, with zero errors. As a team, the Gaels are averaging less than one error per game.
- 2: The Saint Mary's bullpen found a groove after taking over for Kevin Milam after the sixth inning, allowing only two hits and a walk in an efficient afternoon for the pitching staff.
- 3: Reigning WCC Freshman of the Year and eight time All-American Kevin Milam added three hits to his season total, raising his average to an impressive .364 over the first five games of the season.
- 12: The Gaels pitching staff had the strikeout working, racking up 12 strikeouts, with a career-high eight from starter Kevin Milam, and four from reliever Michael Hobbs.
- 13: Saint Mary's torched Arizona State for 13 hits, three of which were of the extra base variety.
- The series finale is scheduled for 11:30 a.m. PST Sunday. Saint Mary's will send left-hander Ken Waldichuk to the mound against Arizona State righty Boyd Vander Kooi. The Gaels then host Xavier in their 2018 home-opening series starting Friday.
- Fans can find all live coverage links on SMCGaels.com. Tickets for next week's home series and all home games can be purchased on SMCGaels.com or by calling the SMC Ticket Office at (925) 631-GoTx.
6/18/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Gaels Spread All Over For Summer Ball
6/13/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Waldichuk Earns ABCA All-Region Honors
6/6/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Four Gaels Taken In 2018 MLB Draft
6/4/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Gaels Host Summer Youth Camps
5/31/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Waldichuk Named All-American By CBN
05/31/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Valenzuela Named To USA Baseball 14U Staff
05/23/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Five Gaels Named WCC All-Academic
05/22/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Five Gaels Earn All-WCC Accolades
05/20/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Lions Walk Off Against Gaels In Season Finale
05/19/2018 - Baseball