BSB | Gaels Finish Off Musketeers For Series Sweep
The Saint Mary's baseball team came from behind again Monday to complete a three-game series sweep over Xavier
MORAGA, Calif. - The Saint Mary's baseball team completed a three-game sweep of visiting Xavier Monday with a 9-1 come-from-behind victory, riding dominant pitching and taking advantage of opportunities in the series finale at Louis Guisto Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Xavier (3-7) scored first with an unearned run in the first inning, taking an early 1-0 lead. A two-out fielding error by the Gaels allowed leadoff hitter Ryan Altenberger to score from second after he led off the game with a single.
- After that, it was all Saint Mary's (7-3). The Gaels scored runs in three straight innings and five of the next six, building up a 5-1 advantage by the third and continuing to add on through the seventh.
- It wasn't just the SMC offense taking off from there, though. Ken Waldichuk (2-1) tied a career high with his second straight 10-strikeout performance, not allowing another run and scattering three hits over six innings of work for his second win of the year. Only one runner made it to third base against Waldichuk after the first inning, and he only got there via a two-base error and a groundout.
- The Gaels took advantage of 11 free base runners in the game, including nine walks, a hit by pitch and an error. Six of the Gaels' nine runs came from free base runners who reached via a walk (5) or an error (1).
- Saint Mary's loaded the bases with no outs in the second and tied the game when Brett Rasso grounded into a double play, scoring Austin Chauvin. Jack Murphy would then scamper home on a wild pitch to give the Gaels the lead for good at 2-1.
- SMC added three runs in the third inning after it again loaded the bases with no outs. Chauvin drove home one of his two RBIs with his first of two sacrifice flies in the game. Edward Haus came through with a two-out, two-run single up the middle to make it 5-1.
- The Gaels loaded the bases with no outs for the third time in the sixth, getting an RBI double from Dylan Robertson and Chauvin's second sac fly to make it 8-1. Eight of the Gaels' nine starters reached base at least once, and all eight of those players scored at least one run.
- 1st: Freshman outfielder Jack Murphy hit his first career base hit Monday, sending a double over the Xavier left fielder's head in the fifth inning. Freshman reliever Carlos Lomeli also recorded his first career save with three innings of shutout baseball to close the game.
- 9: Gaels hitters drew a season-high nine walks in the game. Six different Gaels worked a base on balls, and two - Kevin Milam and Murphy - earned multiple free passes.
- 10: Saint Mary's had 10 hits, its second straight game with double-digit hits. The Gaels also left 10 runners on base despite scoring nine runs.
- 14: Waldichuk and Lomeli combined for 14 strikeouts, setting a new game high for the Gaels this season. It was the fifth straight time Gaels pitchers recorded double-figure strikeouts in a game.
- Saint Mary's travels to the Pacific Northwest for a four-game weekend series at Pac-12 member Washington State starting Thursday. Fans can find live coverage links for all games on SMCGaels.com.
3/20/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Rain Postpones Tuesday's Game vs. Sac State
3/19/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Gaels Host Hornets in Non-Conference Tilt
3/18/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Pilots Clinch Series With Walk-Off Home Run
3/17/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Gaels Even Series With Early Runs
3/16/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Pilots Score Early, Win Series Opener
03/15/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Gaels Open WCC Play At Portland
03/13/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Wednesday's Game vs. Fresno State Cancelled
03/12/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Waldichuk Named WCC Pitcher of the Week
03/12/2018 - Baseball
Waldichuk Named Muscle Milk Student-Athlete of the Week
03/11/2018 - Baseball