BSB | Pilots Score Early, Win Series Opener
Portland scored six runs in the first three innings Friday to get out ahead of the Saint Mary's baseball team early
PORTLAND, Ore. - Portland jumped all over the Saint Mary's baseball team early on Friday, scoring six runs on eight hits in the first three innings en route to a 7-4 victory in the series opener of both teams' first West Coast Conference matchup at Joe Etzel Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Portland (7-11, 1-0 WCC) tagged the Gaels for four runs in the first inning. Cody Hawken drove home the Pilots' first run with a one-out RBI single. Then Dutton Elske blew open the game with a two-out, three-run home run to make it 4-0.
- Saint Mary's (9-6, 0-1 WCC) got a run back in the third, but Portland equaled it and added more in the bottom half. The Pilots rallied for two runs on three hits - all with two outs - to go ahead 6-1.
- Nick Frank delivered his shortest outing of the year for Saint Mary's, giving up six runs on eight hits in three innings. Nick Sparks dazzled in relief, throwing his longest career outing with four shutout innings, striking out a career-best five and only allowing one hit.
- Saint Mary's pushed for a comeback in the late innings. The Gaels scored three runs on Kevin Milam's second RBI single of the game in the sixth and a two-run single by Joey Fiske in the seventh, making it 6-4. SMC brought the go-ahead run to the plate in Milam in the seventh inning, but he flew out to left field to end the threat.
- 1: Gio Diaz tallied his first career base hit and scored his first career run in the seventh inning. He's the second Gael this season (Jack Murphy) to get his first collegiate hit.
- 11: Gaels pitchers struck out 11 batters. It was the second straight game SMC logged double-digit strikeouts and eighth out of the last 10.
- 33: Kevin Milam extended his active reached base streak to 33 games. It's a streak that dates back to the last 18 games of 2017 and includes all 15 games this season.
- Game two is scheduled for 3 p.m. Saturday. Right-hander Milam is scheduled to go up against Portland lefty Corbin Powers. Fans can find all live coverage links on SMCGaels.com.
4/19/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Road Trip Continues, Gaels Face Pacific And Nevada
4/17/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Fresno State's Slam Holds Off Gaels
4/16/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Thoreson Named WCC Player of the Week
4/15/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Gaels Trample Toreros To Clinch Series
4/14/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Gaels Pull Even In San Diego
04/13/2018 - Baseball
BSB | San Diego Rallies To Steal Series Opener
04/09/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Complete Effort Gives Gaels 2nd Straight Win
04/08/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Gaels Split Doubleheader vs. USF
04/07/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Late Rally Falls Short As Dons Take Game 1
04/06/2018 - Baseball