BSB | Gaels Close Home Slate With Win Over Spartans
The Saint Mary's baseball team ended its 2018 home schedule Tuesday with a non-conference win over San Jose State
MORAGA, Calif. -- Saint Mary's began Tuesday's game with four scoreless innings, the Gaels' offense chipped in with four runs in the third, and SMC topped San Jose State, 7-3, in a non-conference home finale before a big road series against Loyola Marymount.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Saint Mary's blew the game open with a big third inning. The Gaels would load the bases with no outs after JC Santini already scored courtesy of a throwing error that allowed Brett Rasso to reach. Saint Mary's cashed in, as Jackson Thoreson, Edward Haus, and Gio Diaz each contributed RBIs to give the Gaels a commanding 5-0 lead.
- San Jose State would attempt to rally against reliever Carlos Lomeli in the sixth inning, loading the bases with no outs. But Conner Loeprich entered and pitched well, striking out a pair of Spartans and escaping with just a two-out, two-run single that made it a 6-3 game.
- Joey Fiske led off the game for the Gaels with a single that snuck through the first base hole. Fiske used heads-up baserunning, stealing second to get into to scoring position and taking third on a wild pitch. That set up Kevin Milam's sacrifice fly to right center, easily allowing the speedy Fiske to score from third and making it 1-0 in the first.
- Saint Mary's used the midweek non-conference contest to showcase its bullpen, with Michael Hobbs, Lomeli, Loeprich, and Nathan Schneider combining to limit the Spartans to just three runs, capped by Schneider earning his first career save with two scoreless innings to go with three strikeouts.
- 0.725: The finish 2018 with a 16-7 home record, giving them a .725 winning percentage at Louis Guisto Field. SMC was 21-7 in Moraga in 2017.
- 7 on 5: The Gaels scored seven runs on only five hits. The last time Saint Mary's scored more runs than they had hits was May 19, 2017 vs. Santa Clara, when SMC had 13 runs on 12 hits.
- 9: San Jose State issued the Gaels nine free passes (five hit batsmen, four walks). Five came in the third inning, three of which would come around to score.
Eric Valenzuela, Head Coach
- "I was very curious to see how we were going to come out, but you know, you're hungry, you want to win every game. It doesn't matter when. Each game is important, so I am glad the guys came out and played hard and got this win."
- "We have to continue to play good and play good baseball (at Loyola Marymount). We're not going there to scrounge out a win to get us in the (WCC) tournament, we have to be playing good to get in the tournament; to not only get there but to win it."
- "A couple weeks ago I started working on getting my foot down, and instead of missing fastballs I feel like I've been on them. I've just been putting good swings on pitches I can handle, and I think it's working out well for me."
- "Our mentality going in is that we are going to sweep them, we are gonna play good baseball and take care of business. We have to get one win down there, but might as well get three."
- "Really we just think about it one at time. A game like this, even though we know it may not mean much, every win counts, and we are trying to get as many wins as possible, so we take it seriously."
- I would love to see us go down there and absolutely dominate for three games. Even though we only need one to get in, we know we can swing things going into the conference tournament To get three, two, even the one [wins], we know we're gonna play good and roll into Stockton."
- The Gaels close out the regular season with a three-game West Coast Conference series at LMU beginning Friday. Saint Mary's needs to win just one win to secure a spot in the 2018 WCC Tournament in Stockton from May 24-26.
- Friday's game between the Gaels and the Lions will be the featured "Friday Night Baseball" game on TheW.tv. Fans can find all live coverage links on SMCGaels.com.
7/10/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Fonteno Joins UCSB Coaching Staff
7/8/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Burnes Called Up To Major Leagues
6/18/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Gaels Spread All Over For Summer Ball
6/13/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Waldichuk Earns ABCA All-Region Honors
6/6/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Four Gaels Taken In 2018 MLB Draft
06/04/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Gaels Host Summer Youth Camps
05/31/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Waldichuk Named All-American By CBN
05/31/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Valenzuela Named To USA Baseball 14U Staff
05/23/2018 - Baseball
BSB | Five Gaels Named WCC All-Academic
05/22/2018 - Baseball