MBK | Efficient Offense Powers Gaels Past Pacific
Saint Mary's won its ninth straight game after defeating the Tigers Thursday night, 74-56.
MORAGA, Calif. -- Saint Mary's men's basketball showcased why the program is one of the most efficient offenses in the country, as the Gaels had five players finish with double-digit points en route to a 74-56 win over Pacific, Thursday night at McKeon Pavilion.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Saint Mary's (14-2, 3-0 WCC) blew past Pacific (6-9, 1-2 WCC) in the second half after the Gaels knocked down nine straight points with three minutes to go in the game thanks to Tanner Krebs who hit back to back treys, and one from Jock Perry to seal the 74-56 win.
- Pacific cut its 11 point deficit to three points right after hitting back to back three-point baskets to start the second half. Minutes later, the Gaels put up a quick nine points to take a comfortable, 45-33 lead, as five of those points came from Evan Fitzner's trey and two free-throws. Cullen Neal and Krebs also knocked down back to back three-pointers coming off the bench that increased the lead to 56-45 with eight minutes left in the game.
- The Gaels shot 50.0 percent from beyond the arc in the second half compared to its 33.3 percent in the first. Five different players knocked down at least one or more three-point shots in total of the Gaels seven. Krebs led the team with three three-point buckets that came in the last 10 minutes of the game.
- Saint Mary's got off to a close start versus Pacific while both teams went back-and-forth in the early minutes. The Tigers held a 10-7 lead up until Jock Landale's and-1 play sparked a 13-0 run. Saint Mary's took a 20-10 lead with 10 minutes left in the first half and ran on a 21-4 run that lasted for 9:04. Landale posted his ninth double-double of the season in the first half with 11 points and 11 rebounds.
- SMC shot 56.5 percent from the floor and dished out 10 assists in the efficient first half to take the lead into the halftime, 36-25.
- Today's win is the 10th straight over Pacific, and are 6-0 at home when facing the Tigers since Dec. 19, 2012.
- The Gaels have won nine straight games for the first time since last season, where SMC won nine straight from Dec. 11-Jan. 12.
- Saint Mary's has shot at least 50 percent from the floor in 12 games, and in each of the last five contests.
- Second time this season SMC has had five players score in double figures in a game (at San Jose State, Nov. 19, 2017).
- Naar's 15 assists fell one short for the program record in a single game (16) set by Ray Orgill versus Southern Utah on Dec. 3, 1980.
- 9: Jock Landale notched his ninth double-double with 13 points, 17 rebounds. Landale's 17 was a game-high.
- 15: Emmett Naar dished out a career-high 15 assists.
- 16: Evan Fitzner scored a game-high 16 points. Fitzner's 16 points is a new season-high after surpassing 14 points versus Georgia on Nov. 26.
- 26: 26 of the Gaels points were in the paint.
- Saint Mary's will take on San Diego on Saturday at 8 p.m. at McKeon Pavilion.
- Fans can find all live coverage links on SMCGaels.com.
- The game will be televised on NBC Sports Bay Area.
2/16/2018 - M. Basketball
No. 15 Gaels Continue Road Trip at Portland
2/15/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Dons Down Gaels In Second Half Comeback
2/14/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | No. 15 Saint Mary's Heads Across the Bay to Face San Francisco
2/14/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Landale on Citizen Naismith Trophy Late Season Team
2/10/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Gaels' Win Streak Ends in Loss Versus No. 12 Gonzaga
02/09/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | No. 11 Gaels Host No. 12 Zags in Top-15 Battle
02/08/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | No. 11 Gaels Win 19th Straight as Naar Breaks Record
02/07/2018 - M. Basketball
No. 11/12 Saint Mary's Hits the Road to LMU
02/06/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Landale Named on Top 20 Wooden List
02/05/2018 - M. Basketball