MBK | Efficient Offense, Stout Defense Routs Broncos 81-57
Saint Mary's shot 50 percent from the floor to blow past Santa Clara for its 11th straight win of the season.
SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- Saint Mary's (16-2, 5-0 WCC) blew past Santa Clara (6-11, 3-2 WCC) Thursday night to remain perfect in West Coast Conference action, as the Gaels used their size and trademark ball movement for the 24-point victory, 81-57.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Gaels went on a 15-2 run over a four minute stretch that fueled a 21-point lead with less than 12 minutes left in the game. SMC held the Broncos scoreless for nearly four minutes for the 55-33 lead. Saint Mary's charged ahead to lead by as many as 27 points to win its 12th straight game of the season.
- Jock Landale led the way for SMC, finishing with 19 points and 10 rebounds for his 11th double-double of the year. Calvin Hermanson and Tanner Krebs were sharp for the Gaels as the duo combined for 25 points and 6-for-11 from beyond the arc. SMC finished the game shooting 55 percent, while the Gaels defense shut down the Broncos to just 40 percent (20-for-50). Emmett Naar dished out 11 assists as the Gaels finished with 24 assists on the night.
- Saint Mary's jumped out to the 15-6 lead after forcing four Broncos turnovers and hitting 6-of-8 field-goals for the early 13-2 run. The Gaels shot a blistering 67 percent from the floor through the first 12 minutes and held the Broncos to just 35 percent (6-for-17) shooting for the 25-15 lead.
- Hermanson led all scorers in the opening half with 12 points and three treys as Saint Mary's finished the half shooting 52 percent (15-for-29) from the field. The Gaels defense slowed down Santa Clara's offense as the Broncos shot just 39 percent from the floor with two three-pointers in the first 20 minutes. SMC led for over 18 minutes in the first half and headed into the locker rooms with the 36-28 lead.
- Saint Mary's has won the last five meetings and are now 7-1 against Santa Clara since 2014.
- Naar now has the fourth most assists in WCC history with 696.
- Last time the Gaels won 11 in a row was from Dec. 23, 2011 to Feb. 2, 2012 (12 game win streak).
- Fourth straight year SMC has started league play 5-0.
- 33: Total rebounds by the Gaels
- 46: Points in the Paint
- 24: Assists by SMC
- 50: Saint Mary's three point field-goal percentage
- Saint Mary's travels down south to face Pepperdine at the Firestone Fieldhouse.
- Fans can watch the game live on NBC Sports Bay Area Plus.
- The game will tipoff at 5 p.m. PT as the WCC Game of the Week.
7/13/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Zoriks To Play For Latvia National Team
7/5/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Bennett Announces Staff Promotions
7/2/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Landale, Naar Begin NBA Summer League
6/26/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Boomers Add Delly, Kickert to World Cup Qualifier
6/21/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Saint Mary's Hosts Cal For First Time in 30 Years
06/19/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Saint Mary's Alumni to Participate in TBT
06/15/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Gaels Welcome Five Newcomers to Campus
06/14/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Gaels to Compete in MGM Resorts Main Event
05/31/2018 - M. Basketball
WCC Announces Conference Matchups for 2018-19 Men's Basketball Season
05/07/2018 - M. Basketball