MBK | Gaels Win 12th Straight with Blowout Over Pepperdine
Jock Landale posted his fourth 30-point performance of the season to the lead the Gaels past Pepperdine.
MALIBU, Calif. -- Saint Mary's (17-2, 6-0 WCC) rolled through Pepperdine (3-15, 0-6 WCC) for its 12th straight victory, 91-67, as the Gaels finished with their highest field goal percentage of the year Saturday evening at the Firestone Fieldhouse.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- With the 15-point advantage heading into the second half, Saint Mary's remained efficient to extend the lead to as much as 24-points with 15:27 remaining. The Gaels drilled their first nine shots to open the half and keep the 20-point cushion.
- Jock Landale notched his fourth 30-point performance of the season after finishing with 32 points on 13-for-15 from the floor, and 12 boards. The Gaels finished with three players scoring in double-figures, while Jordan Ford recorded a new career-high 20 points. Emmett Naar continues to creep closer to passing Matthew Dellavedova's all-time assists number as the senior finished with 14 dimes in 32 minutes.
- SMC finished the game shooting a season-high 67 percent from the floor. The Gaels deep ball remained consistent versus the Waves, as SMC finished with seven three-pointers (7-for-14 3FG).
- Both teams started off hot offensively, but Landale set the tone early with 13 of the Gaels' first 19 points. The senior scored nine consecutive points for SMC to give the Gaels the narrow, 19-18 lead with 11 minutes remaining in the opening half.
- Uncharacteristic turnovers by the Gaels gave the Waves a narrow advantage midway through the half, but the efficient shooting of Saint Mary's quickly changed the game's dynamic. SMC went on a furious 12-1 run over a two minute stretch, as the Gaels clamped down defensively. Saint Mary's finished the half shooting 64 percent from the floor (18-for-28) and 56 percent from beyond the arc, and limited the Waves to 42 percent shooting to head into halftime with the 47-32 lead.
- For the first time since 2011-12, Saint Mary's has won 12 games in a row.
- Today's win marks the fourth straight for SMC versus Pepperdine. The Gaels are 21-3 in the last 24 meetings.
- The Gaels are now 19-26 all-time at Pepperdine.
- Head Coach Randy Bennett served as an assistant coach for the Waves from 1997-1999.
- 710: Career assists by Naar
- 19: Rebound advantage for the Gaels (38 to 19)
- 28: Season-high total assists
- 12: Number of double-doubles this season by Landale
- 20: Career-high points by Ford
- Saint Mary's will face Gonzaga in the much anticipated clash of WCC powerhouses on Thursday night, Jan. 18.
- The primetime game will be broadcasted on ESPN.
- The game will tipoff at 6 p.m. PT in Spokane, Wash.
2/16/2018 - M. Basketball
No. 15 Gaels Continue Road Trip at Portland
2/15/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Dons Down Gaels In Second Half Comeback
2/14/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | No. 15 Saint Mary's Heads Across the Bay to Face San Francisco
2/14/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Landale on Citizen Naismith Trophy Late Season Team
2/10/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Gaels' Win Streak Ends in Loss Versus No. 12 Gonzaga
02/09/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | No. 11 Gaels Host No. 12 Zags in Top-15 Battle
02/08/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | No. 11 Gaels Win 19th Straight as Naar Breaks Record
02/07/2018 - M. Basketball
No. 11/12 Saint Mary's Hits the Road to LMU
02/06/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Landale Named on Top 20 Wooden List
02/05/2018 - M. Basketball