MBK | Gaels Win 13th Straight with 74-71 Win at No. 13/13 Gonzaga
Saint Mary's forced the Zags to finish the game just 1-of-7 from the field for the three point victory.
SPOKANE, Wash. -- In a battle of West Coast Conference powerhouses in front of a sold out McCarthey Athletic Center, Saint Mary's (18-2, 7-0 WCC) and No. 13/13 Gonzaga (16-4, 6-1 WCC) wrote another memorable matchup in the heated rivalry, as the Gaels overcame a nine point deficit to win their 13th straight of the season, 74-71, Thursday evening over arch rival Gonzaga.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Jock Landale notched his 13th double-double of the season with 26 points and 12 rebounds in 37 minutes. The Gaels had three other players score double-digit points with Hermanson (16), Krebs (10) and Ford (10) supporting the Gaels offense. Rui Hachimura recorded a new career-high with 23 points to lead the Zags.
- Tied 68-68, Hermanson ripped through with a strong drive and finish to give SMC the 70-68 lead with two minutes left in the game. After a Hachimura layup to tie the game, 70-70, Landale gave the Gaels back the slim lead after a beautiful up-and-under move with 1:06 to go. GU's Zach Norvell had a chance to tie the game, but the guard missed the front end of two free throws.
- With 15 seconds to go, Krebs found Landale on the block, and the senior center continued his dominant game with another layup to give SMC the 74-71 lead. After forcing the Zags to a missed three-point attempt, the Gaels held on for the three-point win, snapping the four-game skid versus GU.
- Trailing by nine in the early moments of the second half, SMC quickly silenced the energetic Kennel Club with a 7-0 run to force a GU timeout with 13:11 remaining. During the run, the Gaels defense forced a two and a half minute scoring drought to slow down the Bulldogs attack. The Zags quickly regained the seven point margin after nailing four of their last five field goals.
- The Gaels continued to claw back and tied the game at 63-apiece off a fall away jumper by Landale with seven minutes to go. Trailing 63-57, Hermanson drained an eight-foot jumper followed by Tanner Krebs' second trey of the game, as the defense again kept GU scoreless for nearly three minutes.
- Both teams started the game fast, with Saint Mary's and Gonzaga combining for 17-for-24 shooting from the floor with 11 minutes to go. The Gaels and Zags continued to go back-and-forth as the Gaels held a 32-30 lead with under six minutes to go. SMC had eight players score in the half and finished shooting 62 percent from the field (16-of-26 FG). The Zags ended the half shooting 56 percent (18-for-32 FG) and just 3-for-10 from beyond the arc.
- Landale led the Gaels at the half with nine points and five boards, while Hachimura led all players with 15 points on 7-of-9 from the floor. Despite shooting 56 percent from deep, SMC trailed GU by four, 42-38, in an impressive half of efficient basketball.
- Today is the 96th all-time meeting between Gonzaga and Saint Mary's.
- SMC is now 10-29 all-time at GU.
- Saint Mary's and Gonzaga has met in the West Coast Conference Tournament eight out of the last nine years.
- Last time Gaels beat a nationally-ranked opponent was 3/5/12 in the championship game of the WCC Tournament versus No. 24/25 Gonzaga (W, 78-74 (OT).
- 22: Lead changes in the game
- 9: Largest lead of the game by either team
- 57: Gaels field goal percentage
- 62: Three point field goal percentage by SMC
- 48: Zags three-point field goal percentage
- Saint Mary's will face Pacific on Saturday night, Jan. 20.
- Tipoff versus the Tigers is set for 7 p.m. on the TheW.tv.
- The Gaels beat Pacific in the season's first matchup, 74-56.
2/21/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | No. 22/20 Saint Mary's to Host Pepperdine in Final Week of Regular Season
2/17/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | No. 15 Saint Mary's Grinds Out Win at Portland
2/16/2018 - M. Basketball
No. 15 Gaels Continue Road Trip at Portland
2/15/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Dons Down Gaels In Second Half Comeback
2/14/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | No. 15 Saint Mary's Heads Across the Bay to Face San Francisco
02/14/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Landale on Citizen Naismith Trophy Late Season Team
02/10/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Gaels' Win Streak Ends in Loss Versus No. 12 Gonzaga
02/09/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | No. 11 Gaels Host No. 12 Zags in Top-15 Battle
02/08/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | No. 11 Gaels Win 19th Straight as Naar Breaks Record
02/07/2018 - M. Basketball