MBK | Gaels Dig Deep for 72-69 Win at Pacific
Saint Mary's won its 14th straight of the season after key defensive stops at Pacific on Saturday night.
STOCKTON, Calif. -- In another tough road test against a hot Pacific squad, Saint Mary's (19-2, 8-0 WCC) used a late rally fueled by clutch free-throws and key defensive stops to defeat the Tigers (10-11, 5-3 WCC), 72-69, Saturday night at the Alex G. Spanos Center.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Jock Landale led all players with a game-high 32 points for his fifth game scoring at least 30 points this season. The senior big man finished with seven boards and shot 12-for-20 from the floor and 8-for-11 from the charity stripe. Fellow senior Emmett Naar nailed critical free-throws down the stretch and finished with 12 points and six assists, while Calvin Hermanson was the other Gael to finish with double-digit points (11) on 4-of-7 from the floor.
- Down one with just over a minute to go, Tanner Krebs hit the biggest shot of the night up to that moment with a corner trey to give SMC the 68-66 advantage. The Tigers tied the game right back, but Naar drew a crucial foul and hit both free-throws to regain the two-point lead. With 37 seconds to go, Jahlil Tripp missed the front end of his two from the charity stripe to trail by just one-point. At the line for a pivotal one-and-one, Naar again nailed both free-throws to push the lead back to three, 72-69, and seal the victory.
- Trailing by six points with less than 10 minutes to go, SMC would score five straight to cut the deficit, 52-51, as Landale putback a layup followed by a three-pointer from the wing by Hermanson. The Tigers regained as big as a four-point lead, but SMC would continue to fight back to finish the game shooting 50 percent from the floor, and 55.6 percent in the second half. The contest would finish with three ties in the last 2:22 of the game.
- The Gaels failed to nail a three-pointer in the opening half, as four players recorded points in the first 20 minutes. Landale led SMC with 19 points on 6-of-10 shooting from the floor. The Tigers defense forced seven uncharacteristic turnovers by the Gaels and finished with 13 points off of turnovers.
- 14-game win streak is second longest in program history (15, 2008-09).
- Saint Mary's has won the last 11 meetings versus the Tigers and 13 of the last 15.
- Since 2001, SMC is 6-0 at the Alex G. Spanos Center.
- The Gaels have won their first seven conference games of the season three times under head coach Randy Bennett (2017-18, 2014-15, 2010-11).
- 55.6: Second half three-point field goal percentage for SMC
- 24: Number of free-throws by the Gaels
- 28.6: Gaels' three-point field goal percentage
- 9: Number of lead changes in tonight's game
- 43: Points in the paint by the Gaels
- Saint Mary's returns home after a four-game road trip to face BYU.
- Tipoff versus the Cougars is set for 8 p.m. PT on ESPN2.
- The Gaels defeated BYU in the season' first matchup, 74-64 (OT).
2/17/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | No. 15 Saint Mary's Grinds Out Win at Portland
2/16/2018 - M. Basketball
No. 15 Gaels Continue Road Trip at Portland
2/15/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Dons Down Gaels In Second Half Comeback
2/14/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | No. 15 Saint Mary's Heads Across the Bay to Face San Francisco
2/14/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Landale on Citizen Naismith Trophy Late Season Team
02/10/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Gaels' Win Streak Ends in Loss Versus No. 12 Gonzaga
02/09/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | No. 11 Gaels Host No. 12 Zags in Top-15 Battle
02/08/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | No. 11 Gaels Win 19th Straight as Naar Breaks Record
02/07/2018 - M. Basketball
No. 11/12 Saint Mary's Hits the Road to LMU
02/06/2018 - M. Basketball