MBK | No. 16/18 Saint Mary's Wins 15th Straight After Defeating BYU, 75-62
The Gaels finished the game shooting 54 percent from the floor to power past the Cougars.
MORAGA, Calif. -- Chants of "Go Gaels" and "Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oí, Oí, Oí" filled the energetic crowd inside McKeon Pavilion, as No. 16/18 Saint Mary's (20-2, 9-0 WCC) used a strong second half to pull away from BYU (17-5, 6-3 WCC), 75-62, on Australia Night.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Jock Landale sealed the win for Saint Mary's after a tip-in with seven seconds remaining gave SMC the 13-point victory. The Aussie big man continued to pace the Gaels to lead all players with 32 points and 14 rebounds for his 14th double-double of the year. Fellow senior Emmett Naar was the catalyst for the offense, recording his third double-double of the year with 13 points and 12 assists.
- Saint Mary's lockdown defense forced BYU to shoot its worst field-goal percentage since the first meeting between the two programs on Dec. 30. The Cougars finished tonight shooting 45 percent from the field, including a 5-for-14 mark from beyond the arc. Over the final five minutes of the game, the Gaels held the Cougars to 3-of-9 shooting and forced BYU to end the night with six points over the final three minutes to turn a close game into a double-digit win.
- Landale gave the Gaels nine points in two minutes while knocking down his first career three-point shot of the night at the 7:05 mark to extend the Gaels lead, 61-53, and change the dynamic of the game.
- BYU began the second half with a seven point spurt to lead the Gaels, 37-35, for its first lead of the game since the 19-18 lead with 11 minutes left in the first half. After two free-throws from Landale and a deep three from Jordan Ford, the Gaels regained its lead the rest of the game.
- Saint Mary's scored nine points in the final three minutes of the half, as BYU cut its 10-point deficit to just three. After taking a 10-point lead, BYU has climbed back into the game by forcing six Gael turnovers over the last five minutes of the half. Despite seven first half turnovers, the Gaels headed into the locker rooms with the 33-30 lead.
- SMC shot 51.9 percent from the field as Landale led the Gaels with 12 points in the first half. 18 out of the Gaels 33 points were shot in the paint.
- Saint Mary's has won the last five meetings versus BYU, and 15 games straight to tie the all-time school record set in 2008.
- First time in program history beating BYU five consecutive times.
- Landale now has six games with at least 30 points.
- The Gaels have shot at least 50 percent from the floor in 17 games this season, and in 10 of the past 11 contests.
- First time since Dec. 30, 2017 (vs BYU) that SMC had two players record a double-double.
- 12: Emmett Naar dished out a game-high 12 dimes to go with 13 points.
- 32: The Gaels outrebounded the Cougars 32 to 26. Saint Mary's grabbed 27 defensive boards as both teams pulled down five offensive rebounds a piece.
- 32: Landale notched his 14th double-double on the season with 32 points and 14 rebounds. Landale grabbed a game-high in points and boards.
- 38: Saint Mary's knocked down 38 of its points in the paint over BYU's 32.
- 53.7: Saint Mary's shot 53.7 percent. Landale shot a game-high for the Gaels going 13-for-19 from the field (68.4 percent)
- Saint Mary's will stay at home when they face Portland on Saturday at 8 p.m. at McKeon Pavilion.
- Fans can find all live coverage links on SMCGaels.com.
- The game will be televised on NBC Sports California
2/21/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | No. 22/20 Saint Mary's to Host Pepperdine in Final Week of Regular Season
2/17/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | No. 15 Saint Mary's Grinds Out Win at Portland
2/16/2018 - M. Basketball
No. 15 Gaels Continue Road Trip at Portland
2/15/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Dons Down Gaels In Second Half Comeback
2/14/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | No. 15 Saint Mary's Heads Across the Bay to Face San Francisco
02/14/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Landale on Citizen Naismith Trophy Late Season Team
02/10/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Gaels' Win Streak Ends in Loss Versus No. 12 Gonzaga
02/09/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | No. 11 Gaels Host No. 12 Zags in Top-15 Battle
02/08/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | No. 11 Gaels Win 19th Straight as Naar Breaks Record
02/07/2018 - M. Basketball