MBK | No. 16 Gaels Blow Past Pilots for 16th Straight Win
Saint Mary's set a new program record with 16 consecutive wins after blowing out Portland, 72-55, Saturday night.
MORAGA, Calif. -- In front of another sold out McKeon Pavilion, Saint Mary's (21-2, 10-0 WCC) made history, winning its 16th straight game to mark the most consecutive wins in program history after rolling through Portland (8-15, 2-8 WCC) Saturday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Saint Mary's dominated Portland, 72-55, in a three-point showdown as six different Gaels knocked down a shot from beyond the arc. Jock Perry concluded the game after hitting the final three-point shot with 58 seconds left on the clock to clinch Saint Mary's victory.
- The Gaels controlled the tempo in the second half, and led by as much as 24 points. Emmett Naar led the team in the final half with eight points while the Gaels took a 59-37 lead with 9 minutes, 17 seconds left on the clock. Elijah Thomas poured down two three-pointers coming off the bench to increase the lead back up to 22 points.
- SMC led by as much as 23 in the opening half, and entered halftime with the 20-point advantage, 44-22. Ford and Hermanson scored double-digit points while the Gaels dominated with a 57.7 field goal percentage. SMC took care of the ball after committing just two turnovers, and locked down defensively to force UP to shoot just 30 percent from the floor.
- The Gaels controlled a 13-2 run that kept Portland in a scoring drought for over four minutes and jumped the lead up to 24-10. Cullen Neal came off the bench and knocked down a three-pointer and a layup to extend the Gaels lead to 29-14. Saint Mary's made eight three's in the first half, shooting 57 percent from beyond the arc.
- Saint Mary's flew out of the gate in the first half as all five players from the starting lineup scored a basket with nearly eight minutes into the game. Tanner Krebs, Calvin Hermanson and Jordan Ford knocked down three straight shots from beyond the arc that took a 19-10 lead.
- 16 straight wins marks a new program record for most consecutive wins.
- The Gaels are 10-1 in the last 11 meetings and have won 15 of the last 16 against the Pilots.
- SMC has won 15 in a row at home, tied fourth longest streak in program history.
- Through Jan. 27, 2018, Saint Mary's has the third highest win percentage in the country (91.3), behind Virginia and Villanova.
- The Gaels have scored at least 70 points in 22 out of 23 games this season (69 vs Dayton).
- First time Jock Landale scored fewer than 10 points since Feb. 18, 2017 vs BYU (seven points).
NUMBERS TO KNOW
- 3: Three Gaels scored in double-digit points: Ford (20), Hermanson (16) and Naar (10). Ford matched his career-high in points after a 20-point game against Pepperdine on Jan. 13.
- 11: SMC made 12 three-pointers and shot 52.2 percent from beyond the arc. Calvin Hermanson knocked down four treys. Krebs, Ford, Thomas had two apiece while Cullen Neal and Perry chipped in one.
- 28: Saint mary's grabbed 36 rebounds over Portland's 33. The Gaels outrebounded the Pilots on the defensive glass, 31-24.
UP NEXT: SAN FRANCISCO
- Saint Mary's will face San Francisco on Thursday at 8 p.m. before heading to SoCal to take on San Diego and Loyola Marymount.
- Fans can find all live coverage links on SMCGaels.com.
- The game will be televised on ESPNU
2/16/2018 - M. Basketball
No. 15 Gaels Continue Road Trip at Portland
2/15/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Dons Down Gaels In Second Half Comeback
2/14/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | No. 15 Saint Mary's Heads Across the Bay to Face San Francisco
2/14/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Landale on Citizen Naismith Trophy Late Season Team
2/10/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Gaels' Win Streak Ends in Loss Versus No. 12 Gonzaga
02/09/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | No. 11 Gaels Host No. 12 Zags in Top-15 Battle
02/08/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | No. 11 Gaels Win 19th Straight as Naar Breaks Record
02/07/2018 - M. Basketball
No. 11/12 Saint Mary's Hits the Road to LMU
02/06/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Landale Named on Top 20 Wooden List
02/05/2018 - M. Basketball