MBK | No. 13/14 Gaels Rout USF, 79-43
Saint Mary's won its 17th straight game with the 36-point blowout Thursday night, forcing USF to shoot just 32 percent from the field.
MORAGA, Calif. -- In a dominating performance highlighted by large runs, No. 13/14 Saint Mary's (22-2, 11-0 WCC) rolled through visiting San Francisco (12-12, 4-7 WCC) off a defensive gem and trademark offensive efficiency Thursday night at McKeon Pavilion.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Saint Mary's quickly set the tone for the second half, and led by as much as 38 points. Jock Landale kickstarted the second half for SMC by scoring sixteen out of eighteen points less than ten minutes into the half. Jordan Hunter came off the bench and scored back-to-back layups to increase the lead to 38 points with five and half minutes remaining in the blowout victory.
- Jock Landale led the Gaels with 26 points and 12 rebounds to give him his 15th double-double of the season. Elijah Thomas sealed the Gaels 36-point win with an emphatic dunk in the remaining 37 seconds. The Gaels tight defense held the Dons to shoot a 32.1 percent from the field. SMC forced the Dons to shoot just 9-for-30 from the floor in the second half.
- Saint Mary's opened the game pouring down three-pointers, giving the Gaels a 21-12 lead over the Dons with 12 minutes to go in the opening half. Krebs scored nine of the Gaels opening 21 points including three treys, while Hermanson contributed with two shots from beyond the arc.
- The Gaels managed a 13-2 run that held the Dons in a scoring drought for over five minutes to increase the lead to 14, 28-14. With two minutes to go in the opening half, Krebs and Evan Fitzner each poured down a three-pointer to increase the Gaels lead 38-21. Saint Mary's converted eight from beyond the arc in the first half (8-for-15 3FG).
- In the opening half, SMC headed into the locker room with a 17-point lead. Krebs led the team at halftime with 12 points as the Gaels dominated with a 51.7 field goal percentage. SMC held down defensively allowing USF to only shoot a 33.3 percent from the field.
- 17 game win streak is the second longest in the country behind Purdue (18).
- The Gaels have won eight straight against the Dons. SMC has not lost at home against USF since Feb. 8, 2003 and has won 24 of the past 25 games against USF.
- The 36-point win margin is the largest over USF since a 38-point win back on Feb. 17, 1959.
- 16 consecutive home wins is tied-third longest in program history with the 2011-12 team.
NUMBERS TO KNOW
- 44: The Gaels outrebounded the Dons 44 to 29. Saint Mary's had a total of 31 defensive rebounds.
- 15: With 26 points and 12 rebounds, center Jock Landale recorded his 15th double-double of the season.
- 50.8: Saint Mary's shot 50.8 percent. Landale scored a game high for the Gaels shooting 11-for-17 from the floor (64.7 percent)
- 46: Saint Mary's scored 46 points in the paint.
UP NEXT: SAN DIEGO
- Saint Mary's heads to SoCal as they take on San Diego on Saturday, Feb. 3. Tipoff at the Jenny Craig Pavilion is set for 6 p.m. PT.
- Fans can find coverage links on the men's basketball schedule page on SMCGaels.com.
2/16/2018 - M. Basketball
No. 15 Gaels Continue Road Trip at Portland
2/15/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Dons Down Gaels In Second Half Comeback
2/14/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | No. 15 Saint Mary's Heads Across the Bay to Face San Francisco
2/14/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Landale on Citizen Naismith Trophy Late Season Team
2/10/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Gaels' Win Streak Ends in Loss Versus No. 12 Gonzaga
02/09/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | No. 11 Gaels Host No. 12 Zags in Top-15 Battle
02/08/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | No. 11 Gaels Win 19th Straight as Naar Breaks Record
02/07/2018 - M. Basketball
No. 11/12 Saint Mary's Hits the Road to LMU
02/06/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Landale Named on Top 20 Wooden List
02/05/2018 - M. Basketball