MBK | Gaels' Win Streak Ends in Loss Versus No. 12 Gonzaga
Saint Mary's shot just 41 percent in the 13-point loss Saturday night.
MORAGA, Calif. -- No. 11 Saint Mary's (24-3, 13-1 WCC) record-breaking winning streak ended Saturday night versus rival No. 12 Gonzaga (23-4, 13-1 WCC), 78-65, in front of a sold out crowd at McKeon Pavilion.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Bulldogs' offense never gave the Gaels the chance to catch up to its double-digit lead the entire second half. Four Bulldogs scored in double-figures and made at least one or more shots from beyond the arc. Zach Norvell Jr. finished with a game-high 21 points while shooting 69.2 percent from the field (9-for-13).
- Cullen Neal finished tonight's competitive match up with 18 points while the Gaels finished the game shooting 41.5 percent as a team. Neal's impressive performance coming off the bench included three made three-pointers and a 7-of-9 showing from the charity stripe. Jock Landale led the Gaels with 37 minutes on the court but was held to only four points on 2-of-4 shooting by Gonzaga's stingy defense. The Gaels' center was forced to dish passes out of a double-team and led SMC with four assists on the night.
- The Gaels struggled all night from beyond the arc, as SMC was 2-for-10 in the opening half and 3-for-10 in the final period to finish only 25 percent (5-for-20 3FG) from range.
- Jordan Ford made it a 12-point game at the half by finishing a floater and led the team with 11 first-half points. Saint Mary's struggled offensively in the opening 20 minutes, shooting 37.5 percent from the field and 20.0 percent from three-point land while GU converted 47.2 percent of their field goal attempts.
- After 11 minutes of play, Landale flew down the court for a powerful dunk for his first basket of the game. After Landale's two-hand jam the Gaels forced a turnover and knocked down a shot from beyond the arc courtesy of Evan Fitzner. Saint Mary's continued to make defensive stops, forcing Gonzaga to shoot just 1-for-8 during a three minute stretch that made it a seven-point game, 28-21.
- Gonzaga jumped to an early 15-4 with three 3-pointers in the first two minutes of play. Saint Mary's had an early scoring drought that was finally broken at the 12-minute mark by a Neal trey.
- 7: Saint Mary's blocked seven Bulldog shots. Landale had a game-high four blocks and Jordan Hunter had two.
- 8: Saint Mary's managed just eight assists on their 22 field goals during the contest. The Gaels entered Saturday's contest averaging 17.1 dimes per game.
- 24: Both teams grabbed 24 defensive rebounds. Gonzaga outrebounded Saint Mary's 38-34.
- 28: Saint Mary's bench contributed 28 points on the night.
- Saint Mary's is 18-23 all-time at home versus Gonzaga.
- Gonzaga has won 22 straight conference games on the road, the longest active streak in the country.
- The last time the Gaels beat a nationally-ranked Gonzaga squad inside McKeon Pavilion was Jan. 12, 2012 (W, 83-62) when GU was ranked No. 21.
- Tonight was the first time in WCC history two teams inside the top-15 faced off against each other.
- Saint Mary's will travel across the bay to take on San Francisco at 7 p.m. on Thursday. Fans can find coverage links on the men's basketball schedule page on SMCGaels.com.
3/18/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Gaels Host Huskies in Second Round of NIT
3/14/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | No. 25 Saint Mary's to Host Washington in Second Round of NIT
3/13/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Saint Mary's Dominates In Opening Round Of NIT
3/13/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Landale, Naar Named NABC First Team
3/12/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | No. 25 Gaels Host Southeastern Louisiana in NIT Opener
03/12/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Landale Named USBWA Second Team All-American
03/11/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Saint Mary's to Host Southeastern Louisiana in NIT
03/09/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Landale Named Top-5 Finalist for Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Award
03/06/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Landale Makes All-District Team
03/05/2018 - M. Basketball