MBK | No. 22 Gaels Cruise Past Pepperdine, 75-61
Saint Mary's hosts Senior Day on Saturday, Feb. 24 at 3 p.m. PT.
MORAGA, Calif. -- Solid shooting from beyond the arc and taking care of the basketball highlighted Saint Mary's (26-4,15-2 WCC) matchup over Pepperdine (4-25, 1-16 WCC), as the Gaels dominated for the 75-61 victory at McKeon Pavilion.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Gaels physical presence was too much for the Waves inside. Saint Mary's and big man Jock Landale controlled the paint, whether it was working the interior for smooth floaters, or passing out of Wave double teams to open 3-point shooters. The Gaels held Pepperdine to a 39.6 percent mark from the field while pulling down eight more rebounds than the Waves, six of which were offensive and led to eight second chance points.
- Saint Mary's started a dominant first half with quick 3-pointers from Tanner Krebs, Calvin Hermanson and Jordan Ford for an early 11-0 run to put the Gaels up 19-6. Saint Mary's closed the opening half on a 9-1 run courtesy of three consecutive by Ford, Krebs, and Emmett Naar to give the Gaels a commanding 46-26 lead at the break.
- Jordan Ford led the Gaels in the first half shooting 80.0 percent (4-for-5) from beyond the arc. Saint Mary's would continue the run of great three point shooting, notching a 60.0 percent mark from beyond the arc in the opening 20 and four different Gaels hit at least one three ball.
- Saint Mary's continued its composure and balance in the final 10 minutes of the game while dominating over Pepperdine in double-digit points. Jordan Ford posted his first career double-double with 18 points and 10 rebounds at the 5:43 mark of the game.
- The 3-point showdown continued in the second half, as Tanner Krebs knocked down back to back treys for his fourth 3-point shot of the night while Cullen Neal chipped a triple five minutes into the second half.
- Emmett Naar contributed six assists in tonight's win, extending his program record to 783 assists with a game to go in the regular season. The six assists tonight also give Naar 251 assists for the season, good for best in the country.
- Saint Mary's finished the first half shooting 60.0 percent from the 3-point line. The last time the Gaels shot more than 60.0 percent from beyond the arc in a half was against Loyola Marymount on Dec. 28 shooting 61.5 percent on 8-for-13.
- The Gaels racked up an impressive 17 assists to go with only three turnovers. This improves the Gaels second best in the nation assist/turnover ratio of 1.66.
NUMBERS TO KNOW
- 3: Saint Mary's finished tonight's game with a season-low three turnovers surpassing four turnovers versus New Mexico State on Nov. 13.
- 4: Four different Gaels scored in double-digit points: Ford (18), Hermanson (14), Krebs (12) and Landale (10). Ford shot a team-best 63.6 percent on 7-for-11 shooting from the field.
- 17: Saint Mary's dished out 17 assists as the assist leader Naar controlled the offense with six dimes.
UP NEXT: SANTA CLARA
- Saint Mary's closes the regular season on Saturday with a 3 p.m tip-off against Santa Clara, before which seniors Jock Landale, Cullen Neal, Calvin Hermanson, and Emmett Naar will be honored before the game as a part of Senior Day festivities.
- Tickets are available for purchase at SMCGaels.com or by calling the SMC Ticket Office at (925) 631 -GoTx. Fans can find live coverage links for all games on SMCGaels.com.
3/20/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Gaels Set for Quarterfinal Matchup Versus Utah
3/19/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Gaels Take Down Huskies to Advance to NIT Quarterfinals
3/18/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Gaels Host Huskies in Second Round of NIT
3/14/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | No. 25 Saint Mary's to Host Washington in Second Round of NIT
3/13/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Saint Mary's Dominates In Opening Round Of NIT
03/13/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Landale, Naar Named NABC First Team
03/12/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | No. 25 Gaels Host Southeastern Louisiana in NIT Opener
03/12/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Landale Named USBWA Second Team All-American
03/11/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Saint Mary's to Host Southeastern Louisiana in NIT
03/09/2018 - M. Basketball