MBK | Stout Defense Leads No. 22 Saint Mary's Past Broncos on Senior Day
The Gaels forced Santa Clara to shot below 30 percent in the 27-point victory Saturday afternoon.
MORAGA, Calif. -- In front of a packed house for Senior Day, No. 22/20 Saint Mary's (27-4, 16-2 WCC) used its league leading scoring defense to slow down Santa Clara (11-19, 8-10 WCC) and defeat the Broncos, 67-40, Saturday afternoon inside McKeon Pavilion.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Saint Mary's had four players score in double-figures as Jock Landale finished with a game-high 19 points and eight rebounds in 33 minutes of action. Jordan Ford finished with 13 points and five boards while Emmett Naar (12) and Calvin Hermanson (10) were the other two to finish in double-figures.
- Santa Clara finished the game just 1-of-13 from the floor to shoot a season-low 24 percent from the field. The Broncos ended with 14 turnovers and made just three three-point field goals in the 40 minutes of action.
- The Gaels jumped out in the second half to maintain their double-digit lead. SMC limited the Broncos to just four made field goals in the first 10 minutes as SCU shot just 4-of-14 to open the half. Saint Mary's extended the lead to 20 with seven and a half minutes to go as Ford made an impressive finish at the rim for the 52-32 lead.
- In a sloppy opening half, the Gaels jumped out to a 20-12 lead with four minutes left in the half. Saint Mary's shot 45 percent and forced six Broncos turnovers, but SMC turned the ball over seven times in the first 16 and a half minutes to allow SCU to keep close in the game.
- The Gaels defense shutdown Santa Clara, forcing the visitors to nine turnovers and just 26 percent shooting (6-for-23 FG). Hermanson led Saint Mary's with 10 points as the Gaels shot 46 percent on 11-for-24 from the floor and heading into the locker rooms with the 31-19 advantage.
- 16 league wins ties the program record for most conference wins in a single season (16, 2016-17).
- Entering Saturday, Saint Mary's had the fourth best win-loss percentage in the nation at 86.7 (Villanova leads the nation at 92.6 percent).
- Since 2015-16, SMC is 49-4 at home (92.5 win percentage). The Gaels have lost just one home game in three of the last four years, and eight times since 2001-02.
- 28: The Gaels' largest lead of the game. Saint Mary's led for 38 minutes and 53 seconds while Santa Clara never led in the contest.
- 38: Saint Mary's led for a whopping 38 minutes of the game, and shut down Santa Clara in a game that the Broncos never led.
- 40: Points in the paint by Saint Mary's as the Gaels scored 44 points off of two-point shots.
- 12: Number of field-goals by the Broncos as Santa Clara shot just 24 percent from the floor (12-of-51 FG).
- Saint Mary's will have a first round bye and play in the Quarterfinals of the West Coast Conference tournament on Saturday, March 3 at the Orleans Arena.
- The Gaels will either play at 7 p.m. or 9 p.m. PT pending on final seeding. Both games will be televised live on ESPN2.
6/21/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Saint Mary's Hosts Cal For First Time in 30 Years
6/19/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Saint Mary's Alumni to Participate in TBT
6/15/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Gaels Welcome Five Newcomers to Campus
6/14/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Gaels to Compete in MGM Resorts Main Event
5/31/2018 - M. Basketball
WCC Announces Conference Matchups for 2018-19 Men's Basketball Season
05/07/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Clarke Named NBA Global Academy Program Director
05/01/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Schroeder Honored on NABC Under Armour 30-Under-30 List
04/10/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Landale to Play in Portsmouth Invitational Starting Wednesday
03/29/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Landale Named to Two More All-American Teams
03/29/2018 - M. Basketball