MBK | No. 22 Gaels Advance to Semifinals After Late Push Versus Pepperdine
Calvin Hermanson scored 11 consecutive points late in the second half to push No. 22 Saint Mary's past the Waves.
By: Nadine Masarweh
SMC Athletic Communications
LAS VEGAS -- In an uphill battle that saw as big as a 15-point deficit, No. 22/20 Saint Mary's (28-4) turned its competitive matchup around in the second half and secured its 69-66 victory over Pepperdine (6-26) to advance to the West Coast Conference Tournament Semifinals, Saturday night at the Orleans Arena.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Calvin Hermanson scored 11-straight points for Saint Mary's with two free throws and three back to back 3-pointers that gave the Gaels their largest lead of the game, 68-64, at the 2:38 mark. Saint Mary's led by as much as three points with 24.3 second left on the clock as the Waves had last second chances, but it was the Gaels' late defense that sealed the victory.
- SMC opened the second half trailing the Waves, 35-34, but after five missed shots in a row, Pepperdine pushed its lead, 44-37 with 13 minutes left on the clock. Landale began to take over at the 10:12 mark after an and-1 play and a one-hand hook that tied the game 48-48.
- Saint Mary's struggled from the field in the first half after shooting 40.0 percent on 10-for-25 from the floor. The Gaels committed seven turnovers which allowed the Waves to score seven points off of the turnovers. Landale led the Gaels with 10 rebounds while Ford scored in double-figure points heading into the locker room.
- Saint Mary's shot 2-for-13 from the field (15.4 percent) in the first 10 minutes of play that kept the Gaels to scoring four points led by Landale and Krebs. Jordan Ford brought the Gaels back into the groove, scoring nine straight points including a 3-pointer to trail the Waves 19-15 with seven minutes left in the first half. SMC took its first lead of the game, 23-22, off a 19-2 run that lasted for nearly seven minutes. Hermanson and Naar knocked down wide open shots from beyond the arc at the 4:36 mark.
- Pepperdine gave the Gaels a bit of trouble offensively with minutes into the game as the Waves took a quick 9-4 lead at the opening media timeout. Minutes later, the Waves went on a 14-2 run that kept the Gaels from scoring for over five minutes.
- Saint Mary's is 15-9 all-time in the quarterfinals of the West Coast Conference Championships.
- The Gaels are now 13-8 in the quarterfinals and have advanced to the semifinals in 16 of the last 17 seasons.
- SMC needs one more win to tie the program record for most wins in a single season (29 in 2015-16, 2016-17).
- Landale's 19 rebounds is the most by a Gael in a WCC Tournament game (Brad Waldow recorded 16 boards versus San Diego in a 69-66 overtime win in 2013).
NUMBERS TO KNOW
- 4: Four Gaels scored in double-figure points: Ford (19), Landale (17), Naar (16) and Hermanson (14). Landale set a new career-high with 19 rebounds after surpassing 18 against San Diego on Feb. 2 along with posting his 18th double-double of the season with 17 points and 19 rebounds.
- 15: Saint Mary's committed 15 turnovers in the entire game. Previous time Saint Mary's had 15 turnovers was against BYU on Dec. 30, 2017.
- 38: The Gaels outrebounded the Waves 38-29 and took over on the defensive glass grabbing 33 boards over the Waves 20.
UP NEXT: BYU
- Saint Mary's will compete in the Semifinals against BYU on Monday, March 5 at 8:30 p.m. at the Orleans Arena.
6/21/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Saint Mary's Hosts Cal For First Time in 30 Years
6/19/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Saint Mary's Alumni to Participate in TBT
6/15/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Gaels Welcome Five Newcomers to Campus
6/14/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Gaels to Compete in MGM Resorts Main Event
5/31/2018 - M. Basketball
WCC Announces Conference Matchups for 2018-19 Men's Basketball Season
05/07/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Clarke Named NBA Global Academy Program Director
05/01/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Schroeder Honored on NABC Under Armour 30-Under-30 List
04/10/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Landale to Play in Portsmouth Invitational Starting Wednesday
03/29/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Landale Named to Two More All-American Teams
03/29/2018 - M. Basketball