MBK | Ford's Career Night Not Enough in Loss Versus BYU
Jordan Ford recorded a career-high 27 points Monday night versus the Cougars.
LAS VEGAS -- In the third meeting of the season, both teams gave it their all, but the hot shooting by third-seed BYU (24-9) was too much for No. 19/20 Saint Mary's (28-5) in the semifinals of the West Coast Conference Championships as the Cougars defeated the Gaels, 85-72 at the Orleans Arena.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Jordan Ford led the Gaels with a career-night, 27 points on 10-of-18 from the floor. The sophomore guard played all 40 minutes in the game. Jock Landale notched 23 points on an efficient 9-of-13 from the field and played 34 minutes before fouling out.
- Yoeli Childs scored a game-high 33 points as BYU ended shooting 61.5 percent (33-for-54 FG). Elijah Bryant chipped in with 25 points as the Cougars scored 46 points in the paint.
- With a little less than eight minutes remaining, BYU held a 67-54 lead as the Cougars went on a 12-0 run and held the Gaels scoreless for a near four-minute stretch. Trailing by 10 with over four minutes remaining on the clock, Ford kept the Gaels in the game scoring six straight with his dribble penetration to cut the deficit to six. The Cougars continued to convert on the offensive end to pull ahead by 10 with 2:20 left in the game.
- The Cougars captured an eight point lead early in the second half, 45-37, before a pair of Landale layups cut the deficit back to four points. The big man scored eight of the first 10 points in the half for SMC, as BYU maintained the slight six-point margin with 11:45 remaining on the clock.
- BYU jumped out to an early 11-4 lead as the Gaels opened slow offensively. SMC missed its first five attempts from beyond the arc and shot 38 percent from the floor before Hermanson nailed the Gaels' first three-pointer at the 12:55 mark. Ford scored seven of the Gaels' first 12 points as SMC captured the lead, 15-13, off Hermanson's second three-pointer with 11 and half minutes remaining in the half.
- The Gaels extended their lead, 29-25 with Ford leading the charge. The sophomore guard hit two consecutive three-pointers with Hermanson nailing his third trey of the half. After the slow start, Saint Mary's finished the half shooting 52 percent (14-for-27 FG) while BYU shot a hot 61 percent (17-for-28 FG) to take the 41-37 lead at the break.
- The back-and-forth half showcased 13 lead changes and seven ties. Ford scored 15 points and grabbed five boards to lead SMC while Yoeli Childs scored 18 points on 7-of-11 shooting for the Cougars in the opening 20 minutes. Landale played 14 minutes in the first half as the big man entered the locker room with three fouls.
- Saint Mary's is 11-12 all-time in the semifinals of the WCC Championships.
- The Gaels have advanced to seven WCC Championship Finals under head coach Randy Bennett.
- Today marked just the second meeting versus BYU in the conference tournament (1-1). The Gaels defeated BYU in last year's semifinals, 81-50.
- 13: Number of lead changes in the game as the largest lead by either team was 13 points.
- 27: Jordan Ford's new career-high in points as the guard shot 10-of-18 from the floor and 4-of-8 from beyond the arc.
- 31: The Gaels shot just 31 percent on 8-of-26 from three-point land.
6/21/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Saint Mary's Hosts Cal For First Time in 30 Years
6/19/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Saint Mary's Alumni to Participate in TBT
6/15/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Gaels Welcome Five Newcomers to Campus
6/14/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Gaels to Compete in MGM Resorts Main Event
5/31/2018 - M. Basketball
WCC Announces Conference Matchups for 2018-19 Men's Basketball Season
05/07/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Clarke Named NBA Global Academy Program Director
05/01/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Schroeder Honored on NABC Under Armour 30-Under-30 List
04/10/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Landale to Play in Portsmouth Invitational Starting Wednesday
03/29/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Landale Named to Two More All-American Teams
03/29/2018 - M. Basketball