MBK | No. 21 Gaels Defeat San José State, 79-61
Five different Gaels had double-digit points as SMC won their fourth straight to start the season.
MORAGA, Calif. -- No. 21 Saint Mary's never trailed on Sunday, defeating San José State, 79-61, for the seventh straight victory over the Spartans as the Gaels had five players score in double-figures to highlight the efficient attack.
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Gaels jumped right out of the gates and made their first 6-of-7 from the floor for the 14-8 lead at the 15:44 mark of the first half.
The hot-shooting Gaels would go on a 15-2 run in a four and a half minute stretch to extend their lead to 14 points, 29-15. Tanner Krebs would knock three of his four attempts from beyond the arc to highlight the first major run of the game.
San José State would come back and cut the margin to seven points with 5:30 to go in the opening half, forcing SMC to miss nine straight field-goal attempts. Jock Landale would break the cold streak with three consecutive baskets to extend the lead back to nine, 35-26.
The Gaels and Spartans would exchange baskets throughout the final two minutes of the half, as SMC would go into the locker room with the 10-point advantage, 43-33.
With a nice give and go from Landale to Krebs, the 6-6 Aussie wing recorded his new career-high of 14 points as the Gaels claimed the 12-point lead.
The Spartans would cut the deficit to single digits with 15 minutes remaining in the game, but the Gaels would extend the lead back to 13 after a drained stepback three-pointer from Cullen Neal.
SMC would claim its largest lead of 16 points with nine and half minutes to go, as Neal would lead the fast-break for the Landale dunk and the 65-49 lead. Senior guard Emmett Naar would collect his first double-double of the season with seven minutes to go off a left handed layup to push the lead to 18 points.
The Gaels would end the contest shooting 51 percent from the floor and limiting the Spartans to just 3-for-14 from beyond the arc.
NUMBERS TO KNOW
- 12: Number of assists by Naar to tie his career-high.
- 14: New career-high in points for Krebs.
- 18: Largest lead of the game for SMC.
- 18: Number of assists compared to just five turnovers.
- Junior Kyle Clark got his first action of the season coming off the bench with six minutes.
- Krebs tied his career high in three-point field goals (4) in the first half alone.
- SMC assisted on 11 out of 16 field goals in the opening half.
- Third time in four games the Gaels shot better than 50 percent from the floor in the first half.
- 11th straight game Landale has recorded double-digits in points.
- The Gaels bench outscored the Spartans bench, 28-7.
- Saint Mary's will travel down south for the Wooden Legacy hosted by Cal State Fullerton.
- The Gaels will open the tournament on Thanksgiving day versus Harvard at 1 p.m. PST.
- Viewers can watch the action live on ESPNEWS.
- Tickets for Saint Mary's home games can be purchased by clicking HERE or by calling the Gaels' Ticket Office at (925) 631-GoTx.
6/21/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Saint Mary's Hosts Cal For First Time in 30 Years
6/19/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Saint Mary's Alumni to Participate in TBT
6/15/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Gaels Welcome Five Newcomers to Campus
6/14/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Gaels to Compete in MGM Resorts Main Event
5/31/2018 - M. Basketball
WCC Announces Conference Matchups for 2018-19 Men's Basketball Season
05/07/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Clarke Named NBA Global Academy Program Director
05/01/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Schroeder Honored on NABC Under Armour 30-Under-30 List
04/10/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Landale to Play in Portsmouth Invitational Starting Wednesday
03/29/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Landale Named to Two More All-American Teams
03/29/2018 - M. Basketball