MBK | Hermanson, Ford Lead Gaels Over Cal, 74-63
Calvin Hermanson led Saint Mary's with 22 points while Jordan Ford set a new-career high with 17 in the win.
BERKELEY, Calif. -- In front of a large Saint Mary's traveling fan base, the Gaels (6-2) bounced back from consecutive losses to take down their East Bay rival Cal 74-63 at Haas Pavilion on Saturday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Saint Mary's jumped to a quick 7-0 run to take a 10-1 lead in the first four minutes of the game. Calvin Hermanson finished the run with an and-1 layup while the Gaels had three assists on the first three buckets of the game.
Cal (3-5) responded with a 10-3 run in the next three minutes to pull within two at 13-11. Saint Mary's sprinted ahead by seven points shortly after as center Jock Landale scored four straight but the Golden Bears clawed back once again to tie the contest at 22-22 with under nine to go. It would be the last time Cal would pull even in the game.
Saint Mary's kept Cal in a scoring drought for two minutes as the Gaels controlled a 6-0 run led by jumpers from Hermanson and Jordan Ford. Hermanson hit his third 3-pointer with three minutes left in the first half to open the score at 36-28.
Heading into the half, Saint Mary's led 44-30 and finished the opening period on an 8-0 run. After averaging less than nine points in the previous three games at the Wooden Classic, Hermanson came alive with 19 first half points on 70-percent shooting to lead all scorers. Jordan Ford also chipped in nine points in the half while Tanner Krebs led the team with five rebounds.
Following a basket from Jock Landale to open the second half, Cal went on a 7-0 run that closed the deficit to nine, 46-37. Minutes later, Ford scored back-to-back jumpers from inside the paint to put the Gaels back up by 14. Saint Mary's defense would keep Cal scoreless for a three minute stretch during that period.
Saint Mary's continued to hold its double-figure lead as the defense kept Cal at bay with three forced turnovers and two blocks in the opening 10 minutes. The Bears would energize their home crowd with five consecutive made field goals to lessen the Gaels' lead to 10, but Naar responded with a deep three to silence the rally with 6:12 remaining in the game.
With two minutes left in the game, Ford recorded his 16th and 17th points of the game at the charity stripe for a new career-high in points. The Folsom, Calif. native also set career-highs in field goals made and attempted on 7-of-14 shooting and minutes played with 35.
NUMBERS TO KNOW
- 4: Four Gaels scored double-digit points in the win: Emmett Naar (13), Jock Landale (13), Jordan Ford (17), and Calvin Hermanson (22).
- 11: Tanner Krebs led all players and set a new career-high with 11 rebounds.
- 22: Calvin Hermanson had a team-best 22 points and scored 20+ for the third time this season.
- 38: The Gaels led for over 38 minutes of the game and never trailed.
- 86: Saint Mary's shot 86-percent from the free throw line (18-for-21) including an 8-for-8 performance by Naar.
- With a three-pointer during the fifth minute of the game, Calvin Hermanson reached 1,000 points in his career as a Gael.
- Tanner Krebs made his first career start in tonight's contest.
- Saint Mary's is 18-65 all-time versus Cal. The Gaels are 2-1 against the Bears since the beginning of the Bennett era.
- SMC entered Saturday's contest third in the country in offensive efficiency behind only No. 1 Duke and No. 4 Villanova.
- The Gaels have not lost three straight regular season games since 2013.
UP NEXT: SACRAMENTO STATE
- Saint Mary's will return home for a five game home stand, beginning with Sacramento State at 7 p.m. on Monday at McKeon Pavilion.
- Fans can find all live coverage links on SMCGaels.com.
- Men's basketball season, single game and group tickets are available for purchase on SMCGaels.com or by calling the SMC Ticket Office at (925) 631-GoTx.
7/13/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Zoriks To Play For Latvia National Team
7/5/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Bennett Announces Staff Promotions
7/2/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Landale, Naar Begin NBA Summer League
6/26/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Boomers Add Delly, Kickert to World Cup Qualifier
6/21/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Saint Mary's Hosts Cal For First Time in 30 Years
06/19/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Saint Mary's Alumni to Participate in TBT
06/15/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Gaels Welcome Five Newcomers to Campus
06/14/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Gaels to Compete in MGM Resorts Main Event
05/31/2018 - M. Basketball
WCC Announces Conference Matchups for 2018-19 Men's Basketball Season
05/07/2018 - M. Basketball