MBK | Landale, Gaels Cruise Past Sacramento State
Jock Landale set new career highs in both points and rebounds, leading the Saint Mary's men's basketball team to victory
MORAGA, Calif. -- Jock Landale had a career night Monday, setting new bests with 37 points and 18 rebounds as the Saint Mary's men's basketball team cruised past visiting Sacramento State 70-54 in a non-conference matchup at McKeon Pavilion.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Saint Mary's dominated Monday's game in nearly all facets, outrebounding Sacramento State 40-24, outscoring the Hornets in the paint, 36-28, more than doubling them on assists, 16-7, and outshooting them, 46.3 to 40.7 percent.
- The Gaels pulled away in the second half, getting out to their largest lead of the game five minutes into the period with a 7-0 run that made it 41-23. SMC's lead would never dip below double digits in the second half, keeping Sacramento State at bay with 41.7 percent shooting from beyond the 3-point arc and 91.7 percent shooting from the free-throw line.
- Sacramento State led early on thanks to six straight points from Izayah Mauriohooho-Le'afa, but the Gaels would go on a 10-0 run to take a 16-10 lead eight minutes into the game and never look back. Sacramento State went scoreless for nearly 4 1/2 minutes during SMC's run while going 0 for 5 from the floor with two turnovers.
- Saint Mary's expanded its first-half lead to double digits with another 14-2 run later on, this one powered solely by Landale. Landale scored all 14 of SMC's points during the run, giving Saint Mary's a 32-19 lead heading into halftime. He finished the first half with 24 points on 11 of 14 shooting in just 17 minutes.
- Landale had a career night, scoring a career high with 37 points and pulling down a career-high 18 rebounds. He scored 33 points this season on Nov. 26 versus Georgia, and his previous high in rebounds was 14, last doing so against Pepperdine on Feb. 23, 2017.
- Saint Mary's beat Sacramento State, 73-38, at McKeon during the 2004-05 season.
- Saint Mary's is unbeaten against California foes this season, now sitting at 4-0 after beating Cal State Fullerton (Nov. 15), San Jose State (Nov. 19), California (Saturday) and Sacramento State.
NUMBERS TO KNOW
- 3: Jock Landale recorded his third double-double with 37 points and 18 rebounds. His three double-doubles lead the Gaels.
- 5: Saint Mary's tied a season high with five blocks. Emmett Naar had two blocks while Evan Fitzner, Tanner Krebs and Landale each added one.
- 30: Saint Mary's had 36 points in the paint over Sacramento State's 28.
- 40: SMC outrebounded Sacramento State 40-24.
- Saint Mary's will face Seattle at 5 p.m. on Saturday at McKeon Pavilion.
- Fans can find all live coverage links on SMCGaels.com.
- Men's basketball season, single game and group tickets are available for purchase on SMCGaels.com or by calling the SMC Ticket Office at (925) 631-GoTx.
7/13/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Zoriks To Play For Latvia National Team
7/5/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Bennett Announces Staff Promotions
7/2/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Landale, Naar Begin NBA Summer League
6/26/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Boomers Add Delly, Kickert to World Cup Qualifier
6/21/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Saint Mary's Hosts Cal For First Time in 30 Years
06/19/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Saint Mary's Alumni to Participate in TBT
06/15/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Gaels Welcome Five Newcomers to Campus
06/14/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Gaels to Compete in MGM Resorts Main Event
05/31/2018 - M. Basketball
WCC Announces Conference Matchups for 2018-19 Men's Basketball Season
05/07/2018 - M. Basketball