MBK | Gaels Rain Down Solid Shooting On Seattle
The Saint Mary's men's basketball team had its best shooting performance of the year Saturday versus Seattle University
MORAGA, Calif. -- An impressive offensive display Saturday carried the Saint Mary's men's basketball team to a dominating 97-73 victory over Seattle University in a non-conference matchup at McKeon Pavilion.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Saint Mary's (8-2) shot a season-best 58.6 percent while scoring 97 points -- its most points scored in over a year. The Gaels had two 20-point scorers in Tanner Krebs (23) and Jock Landale (20), and nearly had a third with 19 points from Jordan Ford. Krebs' and Ford's totals were both career highs. SMC made 13 3-pointers while shooting 54.2 percent from beyond the arc. The Gaels also dished 25 assists on 34 made baskets.
- Saint Mary's overpowered Seattle in the second half, scoring five or more unanswered points on five different occasions. A 13-4 run coming out of halftime put the Gaels' lead over 20 points for the first time at 62-41. Another 6-0 spurt on back-to-back 3-pointers from Elijah Thomas put their lead at 24 (68-44). Later, a 5-0 sprint highlighted by a Jock Landale dunk grew the Gaels' lead to 26 (81-55).
- An 8-0 run in the last five minutes of the game gave SMC a 28-point lead at 89-61. And treys from Jock Perry and Cullen Neal in the waning minutes of the game had Saint Mary's ahead by 29 points, first at 94-65, and then at 97-68.
- A 26-9 run over the first half's final 7 1/2 minutes gave the Gaels a commanding 49-32 lead at halftime. Seattle had gone on a 10-0 run of its own to erase a double-digit deficit and tie the game at 23-23. But the Gaels made 10 of their last 11 shots in the half (90.9 percent) and made Seattle miss five of its last seven (28.6 percent) to pull away.
- Saint Mary's outside shooting early on gave it two double-digit leads in the first half. The Gaels had four 3-pointers in the game's first eight minutes, three coming from Krebs, giving them two separate 10-point leads. SMC held Seattle without a made field goal for more than four minutes after the tip while it went on an 11-2 run. They would finish the first half with seven 3s, shooting 53.8 percent from deep.
- Saint Mary's beat Seattle 90-63 during its 1987 season at McKeon Pavilion.
- Krebs' career-high 23 points surpassed his 14-point game against San Jose State on Nov. 19. He had five 3-pointers Saturday, also a career best. Ford's 19 points topped his 17-point performance at California on Dec. 2. He hit three treys, tying a career high.
- The last time Saint Mary's went over the 90-point mark was Nov. 16, 2016, when it beat Prairie View A&M, 110-72, at McKeon Pavilion.
- 12: Emmett Naar tied his season and career high with 12 assists. It was the third time he had reached that mark this season, and he is now averaging 9.1 assists per game.
- 13: Saint Mary's 13 3-pointers were a season-best, topping the 12 it hit versus Saint Francis (PA) in the season opener on Nov. 11.
- 20: Jock Landale notched his fourth double-double with 20 points and 10 rebounds. He went 8 for 13 from the floor and also had four made free throws.
- 36: Even with all of its outside shooting prowess Saturday, Saint Mary's still outscored Seattle 36-22 in the paint. The Gaels had five dunks in the game.
- Saint Mary's will take on UC Irvine at 5 p.m. Saturday at McKeon Pavilion.
- Fans can find all live coverage links on SMCGaels.com.
- Men's basketball season, single game and group tickets are available for purchase on SMCGaels.com or by calling the SMC Ticket Office at (925) 631-GoTx.
7/13/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Zoriks To Play For Latvia National Team
7/5/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Bennett Announces Staff Promotions
7/2/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Landale, Naar Begin NBA Summer League
6/26/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Boomers Add Delly, Kickert to World Cup Qualifier
6/21/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Saint Mary's Hosts Cal For First Time in 30 Years
06/19/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Saint Mary's Alumni to Participate in TBT
06/15/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Gaels Welcome Five Newcomers to Campus
06/14/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Gaels to Compete in MGM Resorts Main Event
05/31/2018 - M. Basketball
WCC Announces Conference Matchups for 2018-19 Men's Basketball Season
05/07/2018 - M. Basketball