MBK | Landale's Double-Double Lifts Gaels Past UC Irvine, 73-66
Senior center Jock Landale recorded 25 points and 10 boards in Saturday evening's win.
MORAGA, Calif. -- In a competitive battle from the opening whistle, senior Jock Landale lifted Saint Mary's (9-2) past UC Irvine (4-9) with his third consecutive double-double, as the Gaels came out on top, 73-66, Saturday evening at McKeon Pavilion.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Saint Mary's scored six consecutive points after Calvin Hermanson knocked down a shot from beyond the arc, as Landale's dominance inside the paint gave the Gaels their largest lead of the game, 65-56. Saint Mary's defense and Hermanson's fourth 3-pointer of the night sealed the win over the Anteaters.
- At the 11:50 mark of the second half, back to back and-1 plays by Landale and Evan Fitzner gave the Gaels their first lead since the 13:05 mark, 45-42. Just minutes later, Emmett Naar dished out a pass to Landale to add on another and-1 play to increase the lead.
- Saint Mary's got off to a cold start against UCI, as they kept the margin within two points in the first 10 minutes of play. Brad Greene led UC Irvine's offense with six points to take a 13-11 lead, but Saint Mary's quickly gained the momentum with Cullen Neal's three-point shot and Hermanson's jumper.
- The Gaels kept the Anteaters in a scoring drought for three minutes as Fitzner, Jordan Ford and Landale carried a 7-0 run to take a 27-21 lead. Jonathan Galloway powered past Saint Mary's offense with back to back buckets to cut the 32-28 deficit to end the first half. Saint Mary's shot 42.9 percent from the field, as both teams combined for 11 turnovers that finished in a low scoring first half, 32-28.
- 32 points in the first half tied a season low for points in the opening half (32 versus Sacramento State on Dec. 4)
- The seven-point win was the smallest margin of victory over the Anteaters since the three-point win on Nov. 23, 2014.
- With 25 points, Landale has scored in double-digits in 17 consecutive games.
- Naar moves to 21st all-time in points scored with 1,142 career points.
NUMBERS TO KNOW
- 3: Gaels in double-digit points - Hermanson (15), Narr (15) and Landale (25).
- 7: Emmett Naar posted a game-high seven assists. The Gaels had 15 assists over the Anteaters 10.
- 18: Saint Mary's 18 points came from UC Irvine's turnovers.
- 25: Jock Landale had a game-high 25 points and 10 rebounds. Landale marks his fifth double-double of the season.
- 41.1: The Gaels shot 41.1 percent from the field goal. The last time Saint Mary's shot below 50 percent was against Sacramento State (40.7).
UP NEXT: DAYTON
- Saint Mary's will take on Dayton at 7 p.m. on Tuesday at McKeon Pavilion. Fans can find all live coverage links on SMCGaels.com. Men's basketball season, single game and group tickets are available for purchase on SMCGaels.com or by calling the SMC Ticket Office at (925) 631-GoTx.
7/13/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Zoriks To Play For Latvia National Team
7/5/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Bennett Announces Staff Promotions
7/2/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Landale, Naar Begin NBA Summer League
6/26/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Boomers Add Delly, Kickert to World Cup Qualifier
6/21/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Saint Mary's Hosts Cal For First Time in 30 Years
06/19/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Saint Mary's Alumni to Participate in TBT
06/15/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Gaels Welcome Five Newcomers to Campus
06/14/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Gaels to Compete in MGM Resorts Main Event
05/31/2018 - M. Basketball
WCC Announces Conference Matchups for 2018-19 Men's Basketball Season
05/07/2018 - M. Basketball