MBK | Hot Shooting Tames Lions In WCC Opener
The Saint Mary's men's basketball team shot a season-best 62 percent Thursday in a 28-point blowout of Loyola Marymount
MORAGA, Calif. -- The Saint Mary's men's basketball team could not miss Thursday night, shooting a season-best 62 percent while getting contributions from nearly the whole roster in an 87-59 blowout of Loyola Marymount in each team's West Coast Conference opener at McKeon Pavilion.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Saint Mary's (12-2, 1-0 WCC) flew out of the gate Thursday, starting on a 14-2 run and leading by double figures for the rest of the night. Three straight 3-point shots from Jordan Ford, Calvin Hermanson and Tanner Krebs got SMC out to a 9-0 lead, and a second Hermanson trey made it 14-2 five minutes in.
- The Gaels went on another 14-2 run just two minutes later as Ford knocked down his second and third 3-point shots of the night to give SMC a 30-7 lead. The Gaels would lead by at least 20 points for all but 25 seconds to halftime, and all but 35 seconds in the entire second half.
- The Lions could not keep up with the Gaels as they remained scoreless for more than three minutes near the end of the first half. Hermanson sunk an open shot from beyond the arc to end the half and extend the Gaels' lead to 44-18 at the break.
- Jock Landale scored all of the Gaels' first 11 points in the second half to push the lead to 55-27 lead at the 13:18 mark. Minutes later, Ford finished a three-point play and followed that with a wide-open 3-point shot that put the Gaels up 25 points at 67-42.
- Landale scored a game-high 21 points and pulled down a game-best nine rebounds, narrowly missing his ninth double-double of the season and what would have been his sixth straight. Ford tallied 17 points with four 3-pointers and Hermanson chipped in 12, all on four treys. LMU had three double-figure scorers, led by Eli Scott's 13 points.
- Saint Mary's beat Loyola Marymount, 81-48, in the 2016-17 season at McKeon Pavilion. The Gaels beat the Lions in the past 11 seasons from 2007-17 after losing only one time in 2012.
- Saint Mary's and LMU began last year's conference season against each other, with the Gaels beating the Lions 72-60 on the road.
- The Gaels have won 10 straight conference openers dating to 2007-08. Their last loss came in the 2006-07 WCC opener at Santa Clara, 76-69, on Jan. 6, 2007.
NUMBERS TO KNOW
- 8: Emmett Naar dished out a game-high eight assists. He had six in the first half alone. The Gaels had a total of 25 assists on 31 made baskets compared to the Lions' 11.
- 11: 11 different Gaels scored a point for Saint Mary's and three players scored in double-figure points.
- 33: The Gaels outrebounded the Lions 33-23. Saint Mary's grabbed 26 defensive boards compared to Loyola Marymount's 14.
- 38: Saint Mary's put up 38 of its points in the paint. Nearly a third of the Gaels' points (28) came from dunks or layups.
UP NEXT: BYU
- Saint Mary's will travel to Utah to take on BYU on Saturday at 1 p.m.
- Fans can find all live coverage links on SMCGaels.com.
6/21/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Saint Mary's Hosts Cal For First Time in 30 Years
6/19/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Saint Mary's Alumni to Participate in TBT
6/15/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Gaels Welcome Five Newcomers to Campus
6/14/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Gaels to Compete in MGM Resorts Main Event
5/31/2018 - M. Basketball
WCC Announces Conference Matchups for 2018-19 Men's Basketball Season
05/07/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Clarke Named NBA Global Academy Program Director
05/01/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Schroeder Honored on NABC Under Armour 30-Under-30 List
04/10/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Landale to Play in Portsmouth Invitational Starting Wednesday
03/29/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Landale Named to Two More All-American Teams
03/29/2018 - M. Basketball