MBK | Gaels Prevail in Overtime Thriller at BYU
Saint Mary's came back from an eight-point deficit in the second half to win its eighth straight game of the season.
PROVO, Utah. -- In the season's biggest test to date, Saint Mary's (13-2, 2-0 WCC) and BYU (12-3, 1-1 WCC) danced in a back-and-forth battle that extended to the first overtime meeting in series history, but the Gaels' late game execution and true grit defeated the Cougars, 74-64, Saturday afternoon at the Marriott Center..
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Saint Mary's finished strong and shutdown the Cougars offense in the extra period. The Gaels claimed their biggest lead of the game at the 1:07 mark after Calvin Hermanson drained a corner trey for the 70-62 lead. The Gaels defense clamped down and forced BYU to just four points and 1-of-7 from the floor in overtime.
- After a pair of free-throws gave BYU the one-point lead, Tanner Krebs nailed his third trey of the game with 1:39 to go in regulation to give SMC the 60-58 lead. Tied 60-60, both teams exchanged crucial turnovers and three-point misses to force the extra five minutes.
- Facing a six-point deficit with less than five minutes remaining, the Gaels forced three key stops and hit seven straight points to capture their first lead, 56-55, since the 13:57 mark of the first half. BYU suffered through a scoring drought of two and a half minutes during the mini-run.
- Trailing 38-30 and with the crowd going wild, the Gaels started the second half 0-for-6 from the floor. Landale and Hermanson teamed up for seven consecutive points to trim the deficit to 40-37 with 13:37 remaining. Both teams would trade baskets in the second half, as an Emmett Naar three-pointer pulled the Gaels within one, 50-49, with 7:34 left in the game.
- Landale gave the Gaels their first lead of the game at the 13:57 mark after flushing a baby hook inside the paint. The All-American center scored 12 of the Gaels' first 21 points to give SMC the 21-17 advantage with 7:29 to go in the opening half.
- BYU would go on a 12-0 run over a three minute stretch for the eight point lead, 29-21. The Cougars forced four SMC turnovers in four minutes and kept the Gaels without a field-goal for during the four and half minute run.
- Saint Mary's struggled to knock down shots from beyond the arc, going just 3-for-13 in the first 20 minutes. Despite the cold shooting from outside, the Gaels shot 10-of-14 from inside the arc and 48.1 percent in the half to trail, 31-29, at halftime.
- Saint Mary's swept BYU last season, winning all three matchups by an average margin of 19 points. With the win on Saturday, the Gaels have now beaten BYU four consecutive times for just the second time in program history (12/29/11-2/21/13).
- All-time series versus BYU is now tied, 12-12. The Gaels are 5-9 on the road, 6-2 at home, and 1-1 in neutral site contests.
- Battle of the bigs highlighted the matchup as Landale finished with 31 points on 13-for-15 shooting and 13 rebounds for his eighth double-double of the year. BYU's Yoeli Childs recorded a career high 29 points and 10 boards.
- 15: Number of turnovers by the Gaels
- 9: Second chance points by SMC
- 51: Gaels' Field-goal percentage
- 36: Total rebounds by Saint Mary's
- Saint Mary's will come back home and host Pacific on Thursday, Jan. 4 (7 p.m.), and San Diego on Saturday, Jan. 6th (8 p.m.).
- Live coverage of both games can be seen on the men's basketball schedule page.
6/21/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Saint Mary's Hosts Cal For First Time in 30 Years
6/19/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Saint Mary's Alumni to Participate in TBT
6/15/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Gaels Welcome Five Newcomers to Campus
6/14/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Gaels to Compete in MGM Resorts Main Event
5/31/2018 - M. Basketball
WCC Announces Conference Matchups for 2018-19 Men's Basketball Season
05/07/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Clarke Named NBA Global Academy Program Director
05/01/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Schroeder Honored on NABC Under Armour 30-Under-30 List
04/10/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Landale to Play in Portsmouth Invitational Starting Wednesday
03/29/2018 - M. Basketball
MBK | Landale Named to Two More All-American Teams
03/29/2018 - M. Basketball