GOLF | Gaels in Top 5 After First Day at Arizona Intercollegiate
The conclusion of the second round will begin tomorrow at 8 a.m. as darkness suspended play on Monday.
TUCSON, Ariz. — Tough conditions and darkness headlined the opening day at the Arizona Intercollegiate, but Saint Mary’s golf turned in a strong performance, as the Gaels are currently in solo fifth heading into the final day at Sewailo Golf Course.
- The second round will conclude tomorrow at 8 a.m. as darkness stopped the completion of the latter half of the second round.
- Through 15 holes played in round two, SMC is sitting at 27-over par, nine strokes behind national powerhouse Baylor. Fourth in the Golfstat rankings, Texas A&M is currently in second place at 21-over par, while host Arizona is in solo third at 24-over par. New Mexico is just one stroke ahead of the Gaels at 26-over par.
- 15th ranked California is in ninth place, while No. 25 Santa Clara is in 13th place. Fellow West Coast conference competitor BYU is in 11th at 41-over through 13 holes.
- “Today was one of the tougher days you will find in college golf. The wind blew around 30-35 miles per hour for most of the day making the course play very difficult.”
- “The combination of the high wind and fast greens were a great challenge for our players. It was great to see our team compete well and not lose focus for the 11 hours we were out there today. There are quite a few highly ranked teams in this field, and having success against them shows what we are capable of.”
- “Tomorrow will be an important round to finish off a nice start to the spring semester.”
- Freshman Ash Hakim shot a 4-over 75 through tough conditions. The freshman converted three birdies in the opening 18 holes.
- Seniors Pavan Sagoo and Perry Cohen shot a 5-over 76 to lead SMC. Sagoo shot even par in his back nine.
- Hakim finished tied-9th after the opening round, while Sagoo and Cohen placed tied-11th. Connor Blick finished tied-17th at 6-over par.
- In a field of 44 individual players, redshirt freshman Dylan VanderVeer sat on top of the leaderboard at 3-under par. Vanderveer shot six birdies in the opening round.
- Through 15 holes, Sagoo is 1-over par for his second round and tied-12th overall in the field at 6-over par.
- Fellow senior Blick is tied-14th at 7-over par.
- Vanderveer holds the top spot of the individual leaderboard at 2-under par through two complete rounds.
- The conclusion of the second round will begin at 8 a.m. MT.
- For live scores, followers can click HERE for the team leaderboard, and HERE for the individual field.
5/16/2018 - M. Golf
GOLF | Gaels Finish the Season with Strong Round at NCAA Regional
5/15/2018 - M. Golf
GOLF | Gaels in 12th After Second Round at NCAA Regionals
5/14/2018 - M. Golf
GOLF | Gaels Grind Through Tough Conditions at NCAA Regional
5/13/2018 - M. Golf
GOLF | Gaels Set to Tee Off at NCAA Regionals
5/2/2018 - M. Golf
GOLF | Gaels Make Fourth Straight NCAA Appearance
05/01/2018 - M. Golf
GOLF | Golf Channel to Air NCAA Regionals Selection Show
04/27/2018 - M. Golf
GOLF | Hathcoat Honored on WCC All-Academic Team
04/23/2018 - M. Golf
Cohen Named Muscle Milk Student-Athlete of the Week
04/19/2018 - M. Golf
GOLF | Cohen, Sagoo Named All-WCC First Team
04/18/2018 - M. Golf