MSOC | Gaels Drop 4-2 Decision at San Francisco
Gaels outshot the Dons 18-11 in the loss on Saturday night.
SAN FRANCISCO -- After a rough opening half, Saint Mary's men's soccer was unable to get much going on a chilly night at the Hilltop, as the Gaels fell to Bay Area rivals San Francisco, 4-2, at Negoesco Stadium.
Today's loss drops the Saint Mary's to 4-6-3 on the season, and 1-2 in WCC action. The Dons (4-8, 1-1 WCC) collect their first conference victory of 2017.
In a fast paced opening half, both teams created chances early and often. Freshman Jack Mortensen had the best chance of the half for SMC, as his 20 yard attempt went saved by the Dons keeper. USF got on the board first with a calm finish by midfielder Santiago Diguiseppe.
The Dons scored their second goal off an impressive header in the 40th minute, and took advantage of a Gaels miscue just three minutes later to lead, 3-0, after the opening 45 minutes.
With their backs against the wall, the Gaels applied constant pressure in the second half. SMC poured on 14 shots in the second half, compared to just five from USF. Despite two second half goals, the Gaels fell short to the Dons for the first time since 2014.
- San Francisco (1-0): In the 28th minute, Diguiseppe received a slick through ball inside the 18 yard box, and struck a low shot into the bottom right corner.
- San Francisco (2-0): Bryce Kaminski headered a curling finish into the top of the goal off a cross from the right side by Manny Padilla.
- San Francisco (3-0): The Gaels scored an own goal with less than two minutes remaining in the first half.
- Saint Mary's (3-1): Stephen Dougherty got the Gaels on the board at the 69:27 mark with his penalty kick into the bottom left corner.
- San Francisco (4-1): Diguiseppe captured his brace off a penalty kick at the 72:30 mark.
- Saint Mary's (4-2): Off a missed penalty kick by Dougherty, Joseph Restani secured the assist from Anders Engebretsen for his second goal of the year, as he got his right foot on the short cross.
- Gaels will now play four straight home matches to end 2017.
- Next home match will mark 33 days since the Gaels played at Saint Mary's Stadium.
- Gaels are now 16-29-5 all-time versus the Dons.
- Gaels are 4-2 in last six matches versus USF.
- SMC is now 0-6 in matches where the opposition scores first.
- First time all season the Gaels allowed at least two goals in back-to-back matches.
- The Gaels will play at home versus LMU on Friday, Oct. 27 at 3 p.m.
- Season, single match and group tickets to attend Saint Mary's men's soccer matches are available for purchase. Tickets are available online here or by calling the SMC Athletic Ticket Office at (925) 631-GoTX (4689).
6/14/2018 - M. Soccer
MSOC | Gaels' 2018 Schedule Features Plenty of Traditional Powers
4/6/2018 - M. Soccer
MSOC | New Signee an Inspiration for All
12/2/2017 - M. Soccer
MSOC | Rudel Honored on All Region Third Team
11/22/2017 - M. Soccer
MSOC | Gaels Well Represented on WCC All-Academic Teams
11/14/2017 - M. Soccer
MSOC | Four Gaels Named on All-WCC Teams
11/13/2017 - M. Soccer
Dakota Armour Named Muscle Milk Student-Athlete of the Week
11/11/2017 - M. Soccer
MSOC | Gaels Hold Off Portland on Senior Day
11/08/2017 - M. Soccer
MSOC | Saint Mary's To Wrap Up Season Against Portland
11/04/2017 - M. Soccer
MSOC | Gaels, Tigers Draw in Physical Match
11/02/2017 - M. Soccer