MSOC | Gaels Dominate LMU in 5-0 Win
Jake Rudel recorded the first hat-trick in program history since 2006.
Final Stats | Photo Gallery
MORAGA, Calif. -- In their first game back from a four game road trip, the Saint Mary's men's soccer team dominated Loyola Marymount, 5-0, on Friday afternoon at Saint Mary's Stadium.
The impressive win moves the Gaels to a 2-2 in conference play, and 5-6-3 on the season. LMU drops to 3-10-2 on the year, and 1-3 in West Coast Conference action.
Saint Mary's got off to its fastest start of the season, scoring three first half goals in the first 20 minutes of the match. The Gaels played quickly by piecing passes together in impressive counter attacks. The Gaels defense played an important role as the backline shut down the Lions attack to just three shots in the first half.
The second half opened with physical play, as LMU suffered a quick red card at the 46th minute. With the one player advantage, the Gaels opened the game wide open, scoring two more goals in a one minute, 22 second span for the 5-0 lead.
The defense continued to stay strong for the Gaels, stifling LMU's attack to just 16 shots in the match.
- Saint Mary's (1-0): In the third minute, Jake Rudel accepted a pass from teammate Jakub Svehlik, and buried a shot from inside the box for his fourth goal of the season.
- Saint Mary's (2-0): Less than two minutes later, Joseph Restani paced the ball down the left line and chipped it to Stephen Dougherty for the composed goal.
- Saint Mary's (3-0): In the 17th minute, Rudel won a 50-50 battle with the LMU goalie, beat him to the ball, and scored from 19 yards out for his second goal of the match.
- Saint Mary's (4-0): At the 57th minute mark, Rudel beat his defender down the right goal line and centered a pass to Restani for his third goal of the season.
- Saint Mary's (5-0): Restani found Rudel from 23 yards out from the left side of the field to complete his hat trick in the 59th minute.
- Today marked the 42nd all-time meeting.
- SMC holds the 23-16-3 advantage over LMU.
- Gaels have won three of the past four matches.
- SMC is 5-0-2 when scoring first this season.
- Second game of 2017 with more than two goals scored for the Gaels.
- Loyola Marymount didn't record a shot until the 26th minute.
- Six assists in a game ties all-time record in program history (6, vs. Notre Dame Oct. 9, 1992)
- Largest margin of victory since 5-0 win versus Gonzaga in 2003.
- First career hat-trick for Rudel, and first for a Gael since Dylan Leslie in 2006.
- Saint Mary's outshot Loyola Marymount 16 to seven.
UP NEXT: SAN DIEGO
- The Gaels will play at home versus USD on Sunday, Oct. 29 at 1 p.m.
- Before kickoff, SMC will honor San Diego's longtime head coach Seamus McFadden as the head coach will retire at the conclusion of the season.
- Tickets to attend Saint Mary's men's soccer matches are available for purchase. Tickets are available online here or by calling the SMC Athletic Ticket Office at (925) 631-GoTX (4689).
6/14/2018 - M. Soccer
MSOC | Gaels' 2018 Schedule Features Plenty of Traditional Powers
4/6/2018 - M. Soccer
MSOC | New Signee an Inspiration for All
12/2/2017 - M. Soccer
MSOC | Rudel Honored on All Region Third Team
11/22/2017 - M. Soccer
MSOC | Gaels Well Represented on WCC All-Academic Teams
11/14/2017 - M. Soccer
MSOC | Four Gaels Named on All-WCC Teams
11/13/2017 - M. Soccer
Dakota Armour Named Muscle Milk Student-Athlete of the Week
11/11/2017 - M. Soccer
MSOC | Gaels Hold Off Portland on Senior Day
11/08/2017 - M. Soccer
MSOC | Saint Mary's To Wrap Up Season Against Portland
11/04/2017 - M. Soccer
MSOC | Gaels, Tigers Draw in Physical Match
11/02/2017 - M. Soccer