MSOC | Gaels, Toreros Fight to 2-2 Draw
Saint Mary's and San Diego battled to a 2-2 draw on Sunday afternoon.
MORAGA, Calif. -- In a big time West Coast Conference clash, Saint Mary's and San Diego went the distance, as the Toreros scored a pair of goals in the second half to escape Saint Mary's Stadium with the 2-2 draw on Sunday afternoon.
Saint Mary's moves to 5-6-4 on the season, and 2-2-1 in conference action. USD is now 8-4-3 on the year, and 2-0-2 in WCC play.
In a back-and-forth first half, the Gaels pressed San Diego's defense with constant pressure and scoring chances. SMC fired off four shots within the first 25 minutes of the match before cashing in on a free-kick strike from Stephen Dougherty.
The Gaels continued the attack with quick counter attacks that began off solid defensive efforts. SMC notched its second strike of the game just eight minutes later to head into the half with the 2-0 lead.
The Toreros clawed their way back in the early moments of the second half, as USD scored at the 56:18 mark to pull within one of the Gaels lead. USD continued to press the Gaels backline, and scored the game's equalizer in the 67th minute.
Anders Engebretsen nearly broke the tie in the 73rd minute, as his shot from the right corner of the six yard box went saved the Toreros keeper.
Less than a minute into the overtime period, the Gaels scored what seemed like the game-winner, but the side official's flag went up to offset the goal due to an unfortunate offside call.
Both team's had a golden chance late in the second overtime period, but a heads up play by the Toreros defender prevented the shot from finding the net.
- Saint Mary's (1-0): Dougherty scored on a curling free kick right outside of the box for his third goal for the season.
- Saint Mary's (2-0): Valentin Sponer scored his first career goal as a Gael after Jake Rudel shot the ball down the left side, setting up Sponer for the rebound that found the top right corner.
- San Diego (2-1) With an assist from Miguel Berry, Reuben Dass shot one in the right corner from the 18 yard box for a total of 11 points this season.
- San Diego (2-2): The Torero's second goal of the game was sent into the left corner by Aaron Frey following a corner kick by Freddy Polzer.
- Today marked the 46th all-time meeting between the Gaels and Toreros.
- SMC is 10-29-6 all-time versus USD (update after game).
- Last time Gaels beat Toreros was at home in 2013 (W, 2-1 (OT))
- USD has won three consecutive matchups versus the Gaels.
- First overtime game in conference play for the Gaels.
- Both team's combined for 18 shots on goal.
- The Gaels will play at home versus Pacific on Saturday, Nov. 4 at 12 p.m.
- Saint Mary's will play their regular season finale on Saturday, Nov. 11 versus Portland.
- Tickets to attend Saint Mary's men's soccer matches are available for purchase. Tickets are available online here or by calling the SMC Athletic Ticket Office at (925) 631-GoTX (4689).
4/6/2018 - M. Soccer
MSOC | New Signee an Inspiration for All
12/2/2017 - M. Soccer
MSOC | Rudel Honored on All Region Third Team
11/22/2017 - M. Soccer
MSOC | Gaels Well Represented on WCC All-Academic Teams
11/14/2017 - M. Soccer
MSOC | Four Gaels Named on All-WCC Teams
11/13/2017 - M. Soccer
Dakota Armour Named Muscle Milk Student-Athlete of the Week
11/11/2017 - M. Soccer
MSOC | Gaels Hold Off Portland on Senior Day
11/08/2017 - M. Soccer
MSOC | Saint Mary's To Wrap Up Season Against Portland
11/04/2017 - M. Soccer
MSOC | Gaels, Tigers Draw in Physical Match
11/02/2017 - M. Soccer
MSOC | Saint Mary's To Face Pacific on Saturday
10/30/2017 - M. Soccer